Detective work - whose puke is this? Does it look like blood in puke?

MissClouseau

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This morning: I found cat puke on the porch. But not sure which cat's! So this morning I gave my Hima her Gourmet Gold pate wet food. After eating only a bit she stopped like as if something was stuck in her mouth. I was handfeeding her so I know there was nothing unusual in the food. She went ouside - she does this sometimes, when she needs to pee/poop, she does her business first then comes back and continues to eat. She came back half an hour later and finished her food. Been acting normal since. She might be constipated though due to the shedding season.

Yesterday: One of the street cats who live in the condo injured her tail couple days ago. It's healing but baby steps level. She can walk but not even scratch her ears. She did eat food but I also offered her some new food and she gagged on it and left unfinished. For this puke to be hers she would need to jump up to get in my porch and I don't think she can do that with her injury.

Also yesterday: One neighbor who feeds our condo's two resident street dogs fed the cats instead because apparently the dogs don't like the food she had. I'm thinking maybe it was raw meat. But in that case, I saw this puke at 09:15am, been up since 08:20am at that point and I can't be sure but I think I would hear if a cat puked during that time as this was right outside the room I was in and the window was open. But does this puke even look older?

Also the two weird looking stuff in the vomit was quite hard. It could be something like chicken bone piece or rubber from something. Hima doesn't eat weird stuff nor ever eats raw meat. Some of the street cats of our condo do eat raw meat. But NO CAT in sight is acting weird or trying to hide!

Vomit pictures:

IMG_3411.jpg

IMG_3412.jpg

IMG_3413.jpg

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Looks like perfectly normal puke to me. Cats sometimes eat grass to throw up. My cats did this quite often when they were allowed outside. Many people believe they do it because they don't feel well, but it is really more instinctive, cats thousands of years ago did it to expel worms. They can do it now to get rid of inedible objects in their stomachs, like perhaps what is seen in the puke you photographed. But mostly the do it because they love grass but lack the enzyme to digest it, so throw it back up.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

MissClouseau

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Looks like perfectly normal puke to me. Cats sometimes eat grass to throw up. My cats did this quite often when they were allowed outside. Many people believe they do it because they don't feel well, but it is really more instinctive, cats thousands of years ago did it to expel worms. They can do it now to get rid of inedible objects in their stomachs, like perhaps what is seen in the puke you photographed. But mostly the do it because they love grass but lack the enzyme to digest it, so throw it back up.
Oh I'm not worried about the grass. All the cats here eat grass. It's the red taint in there that worried me in case it's blood, and that whose puke it was.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The red taint could very well be a tiny amount of blood from the strain of puking or a small scratch from the indigestible objects they swallowed. Red means it is in the mouth or esophagus. Stomach blood reacts with stomach acid and looks a lot like coffee grounds. So it is not from the stomach. I would bet the puke is from outside cats who got some raw meat and a tiny amount of bone. If they had ate some prey to get the bone there would have also been fur, claws, etc. If it is something more serious a cat will hide and stop eating.