Destructive Behavior

MonaLyssa33

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Remy sometimes gets destructive. Parts of the cat tree are missing the fabric covering because he rips it off. He chews the corners of my couch for no apparent reason. He just tried chewing my mattress. I don't know why he does it. I don't really care if he ruins my couch because it's already junk, but I want to understand why he gets like this sometimes. He has tons of toys and I play fetch with him when he wants to. It's like he sometimes has so much energy that it manifests as destruction.

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think your last sentence is the key. People sometimes talk about playing with your cat to get the energy out, but it doesn't generally seem to work with high energy cats. Like trying to drain the ocean with a bucket. Cats aren't as bad as dogs, but its still pretty common for them to chew on stuff when bored. One of mine likes to chew on cords. And I've had cats bite the carpet fluff off scratching posts -- and one of the reasons I replaced the carpet runner on the stairs was that one liked to bite at it.

Obviously you can use behavioral techniques to try and stop any particular behavior that is problematic, but as far as helping your cat be less bored, I'm not the best person because I've always had 2 (or 3) at a time, and my current cats are indoor/outdoor, which solves 90% of boredom issues. Except for the times when the 10% feels like 150%...

cheeseburger

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I don't have any answers or help for you but we are struggling with the same issues with my 2 yr old rescue. He's been in the house nearly three months now and as he's getting more comfortable, he's getting MORE aggressive and destructive, not less. We probably play with him two full hours a day split across five sessions, but we cannot make the slightest dent in his energy. He bites cardboard, destroys paper towels, climbs screens, rips the couch to shreds, rips his toys to shreds. Anything paper, cardboard or fabric in the entire house is a target for his claws and teeth. And we have six scratchers.

Because he has so much energy for play, when we aren't playing with him he attacks our legs and feet endlessly.

The vet says he's fine. We've tried calming diffusers, treats and collars. We had a behaviorist to the house and he behaved like an angel while she was here. I'm at my wit's end.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
Regarding behaviorists, maybe videos of the cat in action would help to identify behavior patterns.
Not that they're a magic answer but what about claw caps? If they work at least that would diminish the arsenal a little.

Last edited:

cheeseburger

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Can you video him in action and send that to the behaviorist?
I did show her a few videos. She believed me, she just wasn't particularly helpful. She said we should get another cat. And I'm not sure that's a good idea given how aggressive and territorial he is.

Not that they're a magic answer but what about claw caps?
Excellent suggestion. We did try these and they caused our cat to become paralyzed. After he didn't move or eat for two days, we had them removed (because of course we couldn't remove them ourselves).

I hate to say this, but since he was calm with her around, is it your energy that's sending him up like a firecracker?
No. He was calm while she was here because he was not bored. She had a giant bag of treats and toys that smelled like other cats and played with him for two hours straight swapping out toys frequently. I can do that too and keep his energy focused while playing. It's when you stop that he turns into a bored monster.

Most of the time he's going insane I'm just trying to get work done on my computer. He has a very high need for constant attention and stimulation 24/7.

cheeseburger

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yeah, I'm considering the catio as our last attempt at meeting this cat's needs before we put him in a rescue to find a better home for him. He was a stray and I think he needs to be an outdoor cat but we have too many coyotes in our area to make that a reality. We tried an outdoor tent but being penned in has made him have a panic attack and start hyperventilating the four times we have tried it. We have a balcony he likes to be on but it isn't safe for him at the present time, so we will try to enclose it to give him some options. Hope this works.

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How old is Remy? If he is under 2 years, a kitten might be a good idea. Active young cats typically get along great with kittens. It shouldn't matter if he is indeed aggressive and territorial with stranger cats -- kittens are viewed differently. If he is older than 2, however, the chance is higher he would be nonplussed by the kitten and its activity.

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just throwing another idea out there, but is indoor/outdoor safe in your neighborhood? If so, that may have a tremendous positive effect on the situation. Of course, "safe" is never an absolute, and some here are per se against it, but I do think there are some home situations where its reasonable, and I have seen tremendous positives on cat behavior from it. It gets the energy out like nothing else.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

MonaLyssa33

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just throwing another idea out there, but is indoor/outdoor safe in your neighborhood? If so, that may have a tremendous positive effect on the situation. Of course, "safe" is never an absolute, and some here are per se against it, but I do think there are some home situations where its reasonable, and I have seen tremendous positives on cat behavior from it. It gets the energy out like nothing else.
Remy is a little over a year old. I also live in an apartment on a very busy street so I would never feel comfortable letting him outside. He plays with my other cat, Maisie, but she hides most of the time when I'm home so I can't say for sure how often they do play.

susanm9006

Lola
Top Cat
Purraise
I would start by giving him some things he can chew and tear apart. Some cats chew to de stress the same way others might sharpen their claws. A heavy cardboard box, a corrugated cardboard cat bed etc. might work. I gave my chewer a telephone book which she would happily tear, shred and chew for hours. Messy to clean up but cheap and easily replaceable.

dustydiamond1

Minion to Gypsy since October 2016
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't have any answers or help for you but we are struggling with the same issues with my 2 yr old rescue. He's been in the house nearly three months now and as he's getting more comfortable, he's getting MORE aggressive and destructive, not less. We probably play with him two full hours a day split across five sessions, but we cannot make the slightest dent in his energy. He bites cardboard, destroys paper towels, climbs screens, rips the couch to shreds, rips his toys to shreds. Anything paper, cardboard or fabric in the entire house is a target for his claws and teeth. And we have six scratchers.

Because he has so much energy for play, when we aren't playing with him he attacks our legs and feet endlessly.

The vet says he's fine. We've tried calming diffusers, treats and collars. We had a behaviorist to the house and he behaved like an angel while she was here. I'm at my wit's end.
Did the behaverlist suuggest taping so they could see his destructive beheavior?