Desperate

Maxime

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have 2 cats, Zephir and Flynn. Zephir is 4y and Flynn is 2y. They get along great, always have. So I know that's not an issue.
Now Zephir has been driving me crazy. 6 months ago I started a new job and it's been keeping me very busy. Zephir has always been very difficult. If he doesn't get enough attention he'll act out one way or another. Now the last couple of weeks have been hell. He pees op the sofa nearly every other day. The litter box is clean, I've even put up extra litter boxes, and he actually uses them. It's just when he feels he doesn't get enough attention that he starts peeing. Last night I got home late and went streight into the bathroom to get ready for bed, and he got so mad he pooped on the floor right in front of the door. He used to do this when he was little as well. When I got home and didn't give him attention first, usually when I was putting away grosseries or something, he would poop right in front of the litterbox.
I know he's always been stubborn. Talking back, looking angry when I told him off... Stuff like that. But I could handle it. Plus he was always too cute to stay mad at for long.
But now the peeing constantly... And with the new job, I just can't handle this!
I truly love my cats and try to give them as much attention as possible, but I can't just quit my job because my cat feels like he doesn't get enough attention.
Apart from the peeing Zephir is the most amazing cat you can imagine! He sweet, cuddly, sleeps in my arms and is alway happy to see me. The idea of giving him up kills me. But I'm running out of options. I feel terrible for even considdering it!
I've had him checked out by a vet, there's nothing wrong with him medicaly. I've adopted Flynn to keep him company and they get along so well, they sleep together, play together, groom each other, ... I keep the litterboxes super clean, give him as much attention as possible, I've read every tip online about cats urination I could find. Nothing works. I'm actually certain he's doing it out of spite. When I'm out he pees in the litterbox, but when I'm home he pees on the sofa, or on my clothes, or poops on the floor. It drives me insane! I can't handle it anymore! He pees on stuff faster than I can wash it.
So I'm truly desperate! I love my cat and I really don't want to give him up, but he's driving me to a point where I'm actually considdering it.
If anyone has any ideas, tips or has seen this kind of behaviour, I could really use some help.
(Sorry for any mistakes, English is not my first language)

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
It’s good that the vet was able to rule out any medical issues. Stress can be a cause of inappropriate urination. A Feliway diffuser could help Zephir relax. These articles give some more information about stress and anxiety in cats:

Is Your Cat Stressed Out?

Six Surefire Strategies To Reduce Stress In Cats

Creating an enriching environment can help to combat boredom in cats, which can lead to stress. This article gives som fantastic tips about how to make your house more exciting for cats: Bored Cat? What Cat Owners Need To Know (including 10 Actionable Tips)

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cats do stress when they feel like they dont get the attention, or the activity they need. Its really not out of spite, please try to rethink that, cats do not do stuff out of spite like people do. Its just one of the few ways they have to communicate with us that they are unhappy, or that something is wrong with them. If they could talk it would be easier! :) They cant talk, so they try to let us know they are having a problem, either physical or emotional, the only ways they can. Then we just need to figure out how to fix it for them.

I am guessing they have both been neutered?

I would recommend a second vet visit, you want to be absolutely sure there are no urinary problems going on, especially important with a male cat. Even a low grade infection could be causing the behavior problem And if there is a blockage it can turn deadly. If not then ask the vet about an anti anxiety medication for him. Many people say they have excellent results with anti anxiety medications and inappropriate elimination.

Hopefully you can figure it out soon, and fix the issue. Do keep us updated on how it is going.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
Hi - one of the articles mentions feliway, but in case that doesn't work for your cat there are a lot of other calming products on the market including collars and treats.
If over the counter products don't help you could also speak with your vet for a prescription product.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
M Maxime Hello and welcome to TCS. It does sound like Zephir is stressed. And "owner starting new job" is listed in the Potential Stressors In Cats - The Ultimate Checklist

But also a vet checkup should be considered to rule out an UTI.
Litterbox Problems? Here's Why You Should Call Your Vet

Here are a few more articles that might have some helpful suggestions for you.

How To Solve Litterbox Problems In Cats: The Ultimate Guide
Inappropriate Peeing, Spraying, Toy Obsession And Leg And Hand Nipping
Spraying: When Your Cat Uses Urine To Mark Territory
Combat Cat Urine

Oh, BTW, your English is perfect. :thumbsup:

Etarre

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
In order to protect your furniture, you might consider investing in some waterproof tarps or blankets as a stopgap until you're able to solve the problem. When our cat was going through a phase of peeing on our very nice leather couches, investing in several waterproof pet blankets was well worth it in terms of peace of mind. It's really anxiety-inducing to spend the day at work wondering what your cat is ruining!

Erinlinkcappy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi - one of the articles mentions feliway, but in case that doesn't work for your cat there are a lot of other calming products on the market including collars and treats.
If over the counter products don't help you could also speak with your vet for a prescription product.
Just wanted to add that I seem to have a “revenge” pee cat. Also once a when there was a lot of visitors he was mad and ran in and shat on the mat in front of them. Very embarrassing.

He peed a lot on the tv until it broke. The Feliway diffuser really did help. He stopped after we installed it. We’ve recently moved and he hardly ever does it at the new place which makes me think that the smell of other cats at our last place spurred it a bit.

Also / I know some people won’t agree but we let him go outside during the day when he wanted. He would pee on the door all day otherwise.

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree with the posts above. I think he might have an attachment disorder. It might be worth researching and asking the vet about it. There are things you can do.

If it was my cat I would be putting a tarp on the couch after I cleaned it with enzyme cleaner. Then place a new litterbox with cat attract litter in it. Plus lots of feliway spray. If all that failed after a month I would try ?zycline? If that failed Prozac.

Please know that he is doing this because he is so anxious not out of spite. Just like a terrified 3 year old kid pees their pants. Pee problems take time to solve but they can be solved.
:hangin:
:vibes::petcat:

mekkababble

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I think everyone else has given good advice. I'd also recommend investing in some puppy pads (you can get a pack of 25 or so for $10) that you can place in his favorite non-litterbox places to go. That'll hopefully save you some cleanup work when you get home after a day on the job.

As a temporary solution, you can also limit the damage he does by keeping him in one room of the house with his toys, food, and litter box while you're out. That should buy you some time to figure out what's going on with him and solve the problem.