Dehydration?

going nova

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've been feeling a bit nauseated for a few days, and have been dry heaving since yesterday morning. At first, I thought the nausea was due to allergies (working outdoors in grassy/dusty places), but it's been about 100F out so it's more likely that I've been feeling sick due to dehydration.

My advisor was pretty irrate because I wasn't able to go out to the field today. I feel bad about it because I have been drinking lots of water (2-3 liters each day), but I think that he thinks I was just being careless.

belongstoevie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Nausea and dry heave aren't typical symptoms of dehydration... Sounds more like heat stress or exhaustion. But I'm no doctor!

Tell your boss even if you are drinking lots, that can be really hot for a person and you need to be careful! He should want you to take care of yourself.

I hope he understands and that you feel better soon, dehydration or otherwise!

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Try having something salty like a bag of chips. Low sodium levels tend to bring about nausea. I know when I'm low on sodium because I tend to feel nauseated and eating a bag of salty chips helps.

Try adding some gatorade into that fluid intake instead of just water.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
For a quick, and less greasy, source of sodium you can always make up and drink some chicken bullion or have a can/packet mix of chicken soup. It would probably settle on your stomach fairly well, too.

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So what color is your urine-it should be just about clear-if not you aren't drinking enough fluids. I second on drinking gatorade when out in the field-I drink it half strength but I'm in Wisconsin were its hot when the temps are in the mid-80's.
You do were a hat with a large brim?? Do you sweat alot?? I notice that I if I stop/slow down my sweating its time to get out of the sun and really push fluids.

sweets

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Nausea and dry heaves are indeed signs of dehydration.

The initial signs and symptoms of mild dehydration in adults appear when the body has lost about 2% of it's total fluid. These mild dehydration symptoms are often (but not limited to):

Thirst ................................. Dark Colored Urine
Loss of Appetite .................... Dry Mouth
Dry Skin ......................... Fatique or Weakness
Skin Flushing ........................ Chills
Head Rushes

If the dehydration is allowed to continue unabated, when the total fluid loss reaches 5% the following effects of dehydration are normally experienced:

Increased heart rate .......................... Increased body temperature
Increased respiration .......................... Muscle cramps
Decreased sweating ........................ Extreme fatigue
Decreased urination .......................... Headaches
Nausea ........................................ Tingling of the limbs

When the body reaches 10% fluid loss emergency help is needed IMMEDIATELY! 10% fluid loss and above is often fatal! Symptoms of severe dehydration include:

Muscle spasms ............................ Painful urination
Vomiting .................................. Confusion
Racing pulse ................................ Seizures
Shriveled skin............................... Difficulty breathing
Dim vision ................................... Chest and Abdominal pain
Unconciousness

Add my name to the people pushing Gatorade! But, unless you are actively involved in heavy sports, like running or football, cut your Gatorade with 1/3 to 1/2 water. Your kidneys cannot process the amount of electrolytes.

I do a show every June in heavy period costumes so we run the risk of dehydration every day. We get a lecture at least twice in the month explaining the signs and treatment.