Dealing With Strays When Feeding

Mandybh2

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I was just but by a stray,not feral because he does like to be petted.Any way this certain one showed up about 2 weeks ago.I have been feed another one since July.A sweety;no problems with him.Anyway,the latest cat bit me on the calf,puncturing the skin.I was feeding him;splitting up he food with the other cat He attacked me from 2 feet away.I cleaned the wound with soap and water,and put antibiotic ointment on it.Now I am leery of feeding him.

Lauren4883

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Unneutered males can be assholes I’d advise to prepare the food inside and if necessary and I don’t want to be near him lush the food to him with a broom and get back inside. Neutering should change his personality though. Also if he’s new he doesn’t trust u soneitj a bit of time things might change. If you’re showing any signs of infection get to the Dr for some antibiotics cat wounds can be nasty

kittychick

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm so sorry you were bitten. Cat bites are something to watch as far as infection. Many of us who've spent a lot of time in animal/cat shelters certainly have had their fair share of cat bites- and their not fu! I sounds as though you handled it as you should have - - doctors usually recommend immediately washing the wound under warm running water for a bit. They also suggest that you don't actually try to immediately stop the bleeding (which is counterintuitive, I know) but that you should actually gently (VERY gently) press the area around the wound to encourage a bit of blood flow to flush out any bacteria that got into the wound. And then apply an antibiotic as you did. Then watch the bite area - if it looks like it's become infected (if it gets very swollen, very red, or has any kind of discharge - you really should see a doctor, who will likely prescribe an antibiotic.

Lauren4883 Lauren4883 brings up a good point - - neutering is critical if possible at all (for both!). That should drastically reduce aggression towards each other, towards you and general possessiveness. Chances are, the bites/agression were not technically directed AT you - - but at the situation. It sounds as though both cats are male (and probably both unneutered?) so they're being aggressive about their food, the space/territory around them, and even you - as the food giver. Particularly since the new cat is more unsure of the hierarchy at feeding time (and the new guy wants to make SURE he gets food!). Dividing the food in front of them is a recipe for friction. Prepare/divide it up before you bring food outside. I personally (until neutering happens - and you can tell more about personality of the new guy) would set both dishes of food far apart from each other - and NOT directly in front of either of them. As Lauren4883 Lauren4883 noted - you can always use a broom to push the food bowl in the new guy's area first (so that he's immediately occupied) and then feed your "old buddy" (but for awhile - I'd use something like the broom to push food in front of him too).

Hopefully the new guy will begin to trust - - but neutering will likely be a large part of that!

Keep us posted! I certainly hope this ends up working out calmly and further "bite-free"!