Deafness caused by Teeth Cleaning

uscnorm

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Has anyone had any experience with a cat who came back from a teeth cleaning being rendered deaf.

Our feral cat had terrrible teeth and a constant drouling problem.  We had her teeth worked on.  She lost several in the process and a few were pulled.  That was good and she does not droul anymore.  However she is now deaf and wasn't before.  Has anyone had any experience with this problem and is there any chance she will regain her hearing?

Norm

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I think your question will get more answers in the Health forum.

I am asking a mod to move.  I do hope you wont mind it.

Welcome to our Forums!

Good luck!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

uscnorm

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Eights old, according to the vet.

uscnorm

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Three teeth were extracted, two fell out on their own while being cleaned - all four K-9's are intact.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I do know of at least one cat that this happened to, and I believe she went blind also at the same time.  Terrible things sometimes happen with anesthesia.  Did the Vet say her hearing can come back.  I think sometimes it's temporary...possibly 5 - 6 weeks.  I know it's that way with the blindness. 

for this one, particularly since she's a feral.  I would think this would be more difficult for a feral.  So sorry this has happened.

emilymaywilcha

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Anesthesia is dangerous in old cats. My last vet said Patricia (16) is too old for dental work. But I have no idea how it causes deafness of all problems.

uscnorm

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
She did have something called Horner's Syndrome which is a problem with the eye caused, I think, by damage to a nerve that services the eye.  Cats usually get better in 4-6 weeks and that did forutnately happen with our cat.  We did read an article by a Cornell Vet who stated that hearing loss after teeth cleaning usually is caused by the handling of the cat's head/neck during the procedure and it usually is permanent.  But that is only one article.  We are still hoping for improvement because deaf cats vocalize more and her vocalization is getting on our nerves and waking us up at night.

Norm

uscnorm

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Eight years old.

emilymaywilcha

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Google "deafness after teeth cleaning" and you will find articles about how general anesthesia for dental work causes deafness in cats and dogs.

pickitfarm

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The anesthesia causes this too happen.  My cat had to have teeth pulled he was 19 and he lost his hearing from the event which was sad because he was trained to come when we called his nameand he always meowed when we called him.  I understand the situation with older cats but our dumb vet did not tell us about the risk.  She did not like our cat Pierre because he was very feisty.  Needless to say, our current cats do not provide her office with any visits and no $$$$$$$.

dsw67

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but I'm taking my cat Scooter to the Vet Thursday for his 1st cleaning. He's 9 and he's the best cat I've ever had. I'd be devastated it he lost his hearing, but the vet told me at his last checkup that his teeth really need a good cleaning. Worried...

mrsgreenjeens

Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It's unusual for something like this to happen.  They should take a blood test before they start his dental (make sure they do), then they'll be aware of any issues he may have, and should be monitoring them closely (if he has any).  I always worry too...it's only  natural
.   But having bad teeth isn't a good option either as it can lead to worse things.   There is no reason to think he won't be just fine. 

PennyRaj

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I know this is an old thread but wanted to share this in case other pet parent are looking this up.
My cat was 15 when he needed 3 teeth extracted.
When he came home from his dental his third eyelids were protruding and this went on for nearly a month. We thought we would lose him post dental. He slept and barely ate. I had to syringe feed him for an entire month.
Thankfully he gained weight and recovered. However his hearing had faded from his dental procedure.
He used to be an active outdoor cat and we have had to keep him indoors now due to his deafness. Also since his dental procedure he has a lot more ear wax in one ear too. On the side where the extractions were.

I thought I’d share this so others know to pay attention to their pets post dental. Unfortunately I thought I would lose him with his third eye protruding and not eating independently so didn’t pay attention to his hearing.
I could sue the vets but they all have disclaimers and animals do not have rights. Also it won’t bring his hearing back.

mrsgreenjeens

Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I know this is an old thread but wanted to share this in case other pet parent are looking this up.
My cat was 15 when he needed 3 teeth extracted.
When he came home from his dental his third eyelids were protruding and this went on for nearly a month. We thought we would lose him post dental. He slept and barely ate. I had to syringe feed him for an entire month.
Thankfully he gained weight and recovered. However his hearing had faded from his dental procedure.
He used to be an active outdoor cat and we have had to keep him indoors now due to his deafness. Also since his dental procedure he has a lot more ear wax in one ear too. On the side where the extractions were.

I thought I’d share this so others know to pay attention to their pets post dental. Unfortunately I thought I would lose him with his third eye protruding and not eating independently so didn’t pay attention to his hearing.
I could sue the vets but they all have disclaimers and animals do not have rights. Also it won’t bring his hearing back.
Thank you for sharing your experience. I'm so sorry that happened to your old boy :alright:. Thankfully you were able to syringe feed him through it and he recovered all but his hearing. Not that that isn't a huge loss, but he's still with you, which is most important, as long as he is still happy and adjusting to being indoors. Animals, even older ones, somehow are better able to cope with their disabilities than we humans cope with their disabilities, if you get my meaning. To him, it's probably more like a blip in the road, while to you it may seem so much worse. To help you live with a deaf cat, check out this article: The Deaf Cat – TheCatSite Articles