Dead Kittens

jika

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I take care of a street cat. It had 2 kittens 6 weeks old. Woke up this morning found one dead with blood in its ears....5 mins later the other one dropped dead. It was just walking and boom looks like the eye popped out and nose was bleeding? Can u explain what happened please? Was it a tumour?

Last edited by a moderator:

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
If both were seemingly healthy but died almost simultaneously it must have been some sort of poison.
Kittens are curious and may eat almost anything.

I dont know what poison. Rat poison is bloody too but gives a slow death.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jika

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
If both were seemingly healthy but died almost simultaneously it must have been some sort of poison.

Why is the eye like that

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
High blood pressure prob. So the poisoning caused extremely high pressure - that is why both bled.

Not necessarily a bleeding agent alike in rat poison.

Do you perhaps have any medicines at home against low blood pressure?

Maria Bayote

Mama of 4 Cats, 4 Dogs , 2 Budgies & 2 Humans
Top Cat
Purraise
That is so sad. I read somewhere of a "Fading Kitten Syndrome".

Whatever the cause is, it really is so heartbreaking.

I am so sorry.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jika

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Please click on the picture and look at the kittens eye! What is that poking out of his eye? He was ok then literally one minute later I found him like this.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Seems to be some sort of eye rupture. So high pressure in the eye itself...

If it was the whole eye as such I would say a possibility was some form of agony convulsions.

But neither he nor his littermate had such convulsions nor long dying. So something poisonous and quickly working... which is a blessing sort of.

Farfetched but could somebody tried out either some poison on them - or even tried out if human food was poisoned. Which it was.

marmoset

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I'm so so sorry. I've never seen anything like that. Do you have a vet you work with? You could send the picture to them. I would also guess this was poisoning since it's unlikely both would have gone in a short time-frame and they don't look that young. I'm concerned about the momma. Have you seen her this week?

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What a terrible tragedy....it could also have been blunt force trauma to the head and neck. A mean person might have used a shovel or their boots. They looked in good condition.
Now that they have returned to The Creator, how can you ensure mama cat's safety?