Day 3 spay incision look normal?

Alexabrieldw

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat got spayed three days ago and her recovery onesie has dried blood on it. She’s a very hyper kitty and my vet said she’s too small for a stronger sedative other than her pain meds. My vet advised me to double her dosage to calm her down but she’s still jumping everywhere. Even crating her isn’t working as she breaks out constantly. I still try to keep her in one place and on the floor but I’m worried about her spay incision. The incision site is pink and has dried blood and is a little lumpy. Is this normal after three days or should I take her to get checked? I already emailed my vet a picture but they haven’t answered yet .

Attachments

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It doesn't look bad to me. What if you feel it with your hand? Is it warmer than the rest of her abdomen?
What is really bad looking is how they incised her! That zigzag incision is terrible in my opinion.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I agree, it doesn't look too bad, but continue to keep an eye on it. Some pain meds can actually cause agitation in some cats, so perhaps that is what is attributing to her behavior?

When the vet responds to you about the incision pic, you might ask if another pain med might be more appropriate to try if you think she is worse behaved when taking her current one, especially at the doubled dose. Is there somewhere else you can possibly confine her to without it being in the crate? Some cats just don't do well in a caged environment like that.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It looks good to me. You want to look for angry, red skin, weeping or pus on the incision site, open stitches, and any change in behavior (more lethargic), eating habits, or potty habits. Any of those warrant a call or return visit to the vet.

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I am going to have to disagree with everyone on this. I don't like the way it looks. I don't like the lump under the incision. I would have the vet check it. It also appears not to have any actual sutures. It looks like maybe they did inside sutures and then glued over it. I am not saying there is anything wrong with them doing that as some vets do prefer internal sutures with glue. But you have to be very careful they can't get to it and that they are quiet.

If it was my cat. I would put a cone on. Did they give you one? I would also cage her. Do something to make sure she can't get out of the cage, like maybe zip tie it closed after you give her food water and litter.

I would not use clumping litter for now. You can use shredded paper. You don't want the litter to clump up on the incision.

Do get her checked tomorrow. It may be fine, but I don't like the way it looks swollen under the actual incision.