Darn Dogs

surya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I need some advise. People around here let their dogs roam free. They chase my colony cats and eat their food. Most recently, some people here got a puppy. Sometimes she wears a halter. I was thinking I should buy a leash and tie her up while my cats are eating. It's not cool to restrain someone else's dog, but I don't know what else to do. Is there any training things I can do, in that short time that I am feeding the cats? I have never had a dog, so I don't know how to make them obey. Contacting the owners doesn't work here due to language and cultural barriers. People think it's fun to have them chase cats.

sweetblackpaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
That must be incredibly frustrating! What about some type of playpen/enclosure? Something you could put the cats in but the dogs can't get in? They are pretty reasonable in price and quite a variety of types. Then you could just fold it up and bring it back inside when they are done eating.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

surya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That must be incredibly frustrating! What about some type of playpen/enclosure? Something you could put the cats in but the dogs can't get in? They are pretty reasonable in price and quite a variety of types. Then you could just fold it up and bring it back inside when they are done eating.
Unfortunately some of the cats don't get along and are very food aggressive. It is a challenge, I try feeding them in different places, but the aggressive one's chase the others away. The other cats sometimes have to wait to eat till after the aggressive one's leave. So confining them in a spot would be hard, especially since I live in an apartment without a private porch area to put an enclosure.