Dark bumps around male cats anus

rk67293

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat will turn 8 this June
I've noticed he recently stopped grooming his behind. So I took to some warm soapy water to get rid of the buildup. He seemed to react badly to touch in the anus area when I was cleaning it. I took a closer look to find about 3 dark bumps. One of which looks more raised than the others. I'm pretty sure it's not hardened poop cause it won't wash away (sorry for bad quality photos, it's after his bath). Has anyone a clue what this is? I'm taking him to the vet ASAP but it's currently 3am where I live.
ps: he's using the litter box normally.
20230224_235127_resized.jpg
20230224_235131_resized_resized.jpg

Attachments

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. I can't tell from those pictures where exactly these dark bumps are - but there are two anal glands located at the 4-5 and 7-8 locations of an analog clock if you use the anus as the middle when the cat is upright. The glands are normally expressed through defecation, but cleaning can also play a role in expressing them too. Sometimes if a cat is experiencing soft stools that can also prohibit normal expression. I would be a bit concerned since you say he is sensitive to having that area touched, especially if he isn't bothered by it normally. That could mean they are becoming clogged enough to cause some soreness. Can't explain a third bump, but that may just be some debris from either stools or the 'gunk' that comes out of those glands.

If this is the problem, it isn't something to panic about since you are taking him to your vet soon. They will be able to manually express the glands, if that is the case.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

rk67293

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi. I can't tell from those pictures where exactly these dark bumps are - but there are two anal glands located at the 4-5 and 7-8 locations of an analog clock if you use the anus as the middle when the cat is upright. The glands are normally expressed through defecation, but cleaning can also play a role in expressing them too. Sometimes if a cat is experiencing soft stools that can also prohibit normal expression. I would be a bit concerned since you say he is sensitive to having that area touched, especially if he isn't bothered by it normally. That could mean they are becoming clogged enough to cause some soreness. Can't explain a third bump, but that may just be some debris from either stools or the 'gunk' that comes out of those glands.

If this is the problem, it isn't something to panic about since you are taking him to your vet soon. They will be able to manually express the glands, if that is the case.

Hi! After another bath it seems the dark spots actually were poop, but i still see a raised spot. Are the anal glands supposed to be completely flat from the outside? Ive located the anal glands but when I lift his tail it looks almost like there is something sticking out of one of them. Is that normal?

rk67293

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

IMG-20230225-WA0000.jpg

rk67293

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
This is him laying on his side. The bump/raised part is highlighted. It's on the right gland

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Anal glands are typically hardly visible, and mostly flat. And usually the 'gunk' that comes out of them is dark in color, and generally very smelly. So, it doesn't seem to fit what you are seeing.

Maybe you could send a pic to your vet and provide the same description to them. Given your cats age, not a bad idea to have the vet take it look just to err on the side of caution.

rk67293

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Anal glands are typically hardly visible, and mostly flat. And usually the 'gunk' that comes out of them is dark in color, and generally very smelly. So, it doesn't seem to fit what you are seeing.

Maybe you could send a pic to your vet and provide the same description to them. Given your cats age, not a bad idea to have the vet take it look just to err on the side of caution.
Hey! The vet expressed his anal glands and everything looks normal now. Looks like it was impacted. Thanks for your help.