Dangers of Ketamine

Valerie Gendron

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
On 4/26/2022 we lost our precious angel Misha to Ketamine administered for spay. She died almost instantly once anesthesia entered her body. She was 7 months old. I have since learned that Bengals are very sensitive to Ketamine. Please, if you have a Bengal, research & don’t use. She had no history or evidence of cardiomyopathy. We are devastated & heartbroken. She was the best companion, high energy, curious & very intelligent, & is also missed by her buddy Max 8 mos old, who still cries & looks for her

Attachments

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I am so so sorry, and thank you for the information.

For your other sweetheart, try a purr toy, a heartbeat toy and Cat Music, which will help the transition for him.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
On 4/26/2022 we lost our precious angel Misha to Ketamine administered for spay.
You're not alone. 🤗 We almost lost our first Persian many years ago when Ketamine was used for his neuter. The vet at that time told us because he was a brachycephalic breed he could never have it again. That was when I started doing my research and two Persians later requested another type of anesthesia. Fortunately both of them did well but I was still nervous.

My heart goes out to you. Thank you for your post. Misha was an absolutely gorgeous girl. :hearthrob: Hugs to Max and you. :hugs:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Valerie Gendron

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
You're not alone. 🤗 We almost lost our first Persian many years ago when Ketamine was used for his neuter. The vet at that time told us because he was a brachycephalic breed he could never have it again. That was when I started doing my research and two Persians later requested another type of anesthesia. Fortunately both of them did well but I was still nervous.

My heart goes out to you. Thank you for your post. Misha was an absolutely gorgeous girl. :hearthrob: Hugs to Max and you. :hugs:
Thank you so very much, it was a very special relationship. When a Bengal picks you as their person you are in for a rare treat. It was/is almost unbearable for both my husband & I, but I was amazed at how Max @ 8 months old cried constantly, looking for her in closets, pantry etc He is finally getting his appetite back. I say this because a tragedy affects more than just people it also affects the other pets in the household to 💕
Misha & Max

Attachments