D-mannose or antibiotic? E. coli triggered UTI

catmamma3

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello!
My 17 year old female cat started having symptoms of a UTI and when we did a culture test a week ago they found E. coli in her urine. But in that week of waiting for the results to come back I started her on D-mannose, and a lot of her visible UTI symptoms stopped. Now her vet has told us that she can either go in for an antibiotic shot that lasts for 2 weeks or she can get oral antibiotics. I’m not sure what to do as she already has small intestinal disease and pancreatitis so her tummy is very sensitive and I know antibiotics can exacerbate intestinal issues. I’m already having a hard time getting her to eat. I also don’t know if I should be putting her on an antibiotic unnecessarily if her symptoms already started to clear up from the d-mannose. At the same time it’s possible there are invisible symptoms like pain that I don’t see.
Any advice would be really appreciated :) thank you!

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Feeby (17+ yo) used to get e-coli based UTIs all the time, and I did have her take antibiotics each time. However, When I finally started D-Mannose - after completion of an antibiotic - she stopped with the positive e-coli urine cultures.

If the only thing showing up abnormal in your cat's urinalysis/urine culture (clear urine, no blood, etc.) was the 'rods' that proved to be e-coli, you could try to wait and just have her re-tested in a couple of weeks, or unless other symptoms reappear. Feeby was re-tested after 2 months on D-Mannose and no more e-coli rods, but as I said I did give her that one last time of antibiotics.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I agree that D Mannose can be a real plus with these kinds of problems. As FeebysOwner FeebysOwner said, she used it after the completion of an antibiotic and this is an important point. It will not act as an antibiotic, so cannot cure an already existing UTI. I realize this leaves you in a gray area, but if you have an infection that is not dxed, it may not get to the point of eliminating it.