Crystal Cat Litter

kmbishop111

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have never used this type of litter. However I work at a pet retail chain, and we are discontinuing most of the Crystal type litter. This means I have a chance to purchase at a dollar a piece. I have pictured what I picked up today for a total of $7 (w my discount and the Clump and Seal was BOGO) :yess:
Wondering if I should go back and buy the rest of what we have in stock. Anyone have any input?

(Ps I've had my eye on the PetSafe self cleaner for a year but can't justify spending the $150 on it. BUT if I have back up Crystals maybe I could talk myself into it next time it goes on sale. Lol) :bliss:

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Does your cat like it? Is it dusty during use or when you're scooping?
If you and the feline party in question like it, I'd say go for it :)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kmbishop111

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Does your cat like it? Is it dusty during use or when you're scooping?
If you and the feline party in question like it, I'd say go for it :)
Never used any Crystal type litter before. I have 4 inside cats. Guess I'll fill up a litter pan and let them check it out. ;)

kmbishop111

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Well, they either don't know what it is yet or are completely uninterested in mom's steal of a deal. Lol Yeah, they're over it.

How sad is it that I got excited ab this? :cheerleader:

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I use a lot of Dr. Elsey's crystal litter, the respiratory relief. Its very fine, like sand. I tried the long hair crystals and my cats didn't like the bigger pieces, i think it hurt their feet. If i mixed it half and half with the finer crystals they would use it. I just have not had good luck with the larger crystals in any brand. But i know a lot of cats will use it, good luck. I do love the crystals :)

kmbishop111

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
They still have nothing to do with the box. I' going to try to mix some and see if theirs a better reaction.

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
mixing it may help. I also find with mine as their other boxes with the favorite litter gets a few days old, and used a few times they seem to be more drawn to the new litter that is totally clean :) i think cats really like clean litter boxes

kmbishop111

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I just got in and they have discovered the new box. Lolol Crystals EVERYWHERE. Oh my. Mixing it seemed to do the trick. It def looks like they had fun with it. Well, maybe this wasn't well thought out. Might try a lid.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
I tried it for our last cat, who hated it so much that he not only scratched it out of his litter box, but down our staircase. :flail:

People often donate it to our shelter because their cats wouldn't use it. Most of the shelter cats won't, either, so we pass it along to shelters in poorer countries. I wonder whether it actually gets used.

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just got in and they have discovered the new box. Lolol Crystals EVERYWHERE. Oh my. Mixing it seemed to do the trick. It def looks like they had fun with it. Well, maybe this wasn't well thought out. Might try a lid.
my cats will do this for a few days with a new litter, i guess its fun to play in for inside cats that never get to play in the dirt? lol normally after they use it a time or too they quit playing, hopefully yours will too. I dont use a covered box, just a big one, and the crystal litter gets tossed around way less than any other :)

kmbishop111

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I worked again today so got some more of the crystal litter. Yay. Everyone is only using the 2 boxes with the crystals today, haven't touched the other box of the old stuff. I'm sitting on the couch having dinner and notice my kitty, Adaline is picking up something out of the floor trying to eat it. Guess what this scrumptious snack was?

:spew:

....yup, you guessed it. *facepalm*
So obviously these crystals are tasty? I've got 5 kinds on hand now so not sure which one is the yummiest. SMH. Has anyone else had this particular problems??

(Just when I was starting to love the crystals. :gaah:)

Looks like I maybe making a donation to the shelter after all. I like your idea tho JamesCalifornia JamesCalifornia ! That's just smart thinking.

kmbishop111

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I tried it for our last cat, who hated it so much that he not only scratched it out of his litter box, but down our staircase. :flail:

People often donate it to our shelter because their cats wouldn't use it. Most of the shelter cats won't, either, so we pass it along to shelters in poorer countries. I wonder whether it actually gets used.
Lolololol I'm picturing this!

So you're basically saying their are several cats in Uzbakistan. in a shelter that are saying "WTH is this fancy looking crap here?? ha. Pass." :running:

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Lolololol I'm picturing this!

So you're basically saying their are several cats in Uzbakistan. in a shelter that are saying "WTH is this fancy looking crap here?? ha. Pass." :running:
Romania, actually. A rescue organization collects surplus donations (mainly dog food, but anything else that can be spared, like blankets, beds, litter) from German shelters several times a year and distributes them to Romanian shelters, which basically have next to nothing.

Most of the crystal litter we get is the kind with irregular shapes. The litter Jamie "disposed of" was tiny crystal balls. I can imagine that the sandlike crystal litter is better accepted.

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Never liked the litter crystals. For some reason the cats do not bury their feces with it. Also, it forms a gel glop once there is enough pee in the litter box.