Crying And Destruction

villagewitch

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have a 7 year old male shorthair named Charlie who has been a menace at night in recent months. I have curtains over the window behind my headboard, and he has clawed and scratched them to shreds despite me having lots of different scratch boards, scratch posts on his cat tree, and some enrichment toys not only in the bedroom but around the apartment as well. He cries all night even after I spend up to half an hour in the evenings playing with the laser pointer, having him chase yarn, and other play activities before making sure he has fresh water and a little food in his dishes. It isn’t meowing, it’s like he’s howling in pain even though he’s eating well, at a healthy weight, and gets lots of exercise even as an indoor cat. I make sure he has windows to look out of, places to explore and jump, and a clean litter box. When I pick him up or pet him, he doesn’t seem like he’s uncomfortable or unwell; no lumps, bumps, or tender spots. I’ve had him for almost all of his life (rescued as a 6 month old kitten) and he’s never cried so much at night for no reason. During the day he’s cool as a cucumber but at around 10 or 11 pm he’ll start his rampage. I don’t mean zoomies; he’ll climb up on my bed, tear the curtains to shreds, and wander around the house all while yowling and screaming.

Is there something I’m doing wrong? Does he need to see a vet? Could there be an illness I’m not seeing or a need that’s not being met? I love Charlie very much and want to be able to help if he’s doing this for a reason.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
He is neutered, right? If not, that's your answer, but I'm pretty certain from your post that he must be. A vet check, as rubysmama rubysmama mentioned, is a good idea, and she gave you some excellent articles to read. Other than that...I'm wondering if there are cats outside approaching your apartment at night. That could easily cause behavior like you are describing. Since it is an apartment, you are kinda limited in how to keep them away, but you could spray citrus oil in a fairly large semicircle on the ground outside. It is slightly toxic to cats, but they naturally avoid it, so you don't have to worry about harming them. You'll have to do it daily until they decide that your area is just a losing proposition, which is a pain, but less of a pain than replacing curtains and listening to a frantic cat yowl!