CPAP machine

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My husband uses one and has for year. It doesn't seem to bother his sleep, but he had to experiment with different style masks before he found one that worked for him.

klunick

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My husband resisted using his for years but now says it's the best thing ever. He did have to experiment like misty8723 misty8723 says with sleeping positions and positioning of the mask on his face.

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
We used to travel with another couple and they always wanted to stay in the same motel room; I think they wanted to save money. We did it that way a couple of times, but eventually, we just couldn't. The CPAP made a horrible noise. And when she didn't use it, she snored terribly (which was why she needed the CPAP). A absolutely wonderful couple and she couldn't help that she snored. But we simply couldn't sleep.

My doctor wants me to have a sleep test because I now snore...so does Rick. I won't do it because I won't wear the CPAP anyway. I don't want to deal with wearing one or cleaning one. Doctor thinks that could be some of what's causing my headaches.

There's a new kind of CPAP with no mask. I don't know much about it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

posiepurrs

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We used to travel with another couple and they always wanted to stay in the same motel room; I think they wanted to save money. We did it that way a couple of times, but eventually, we just couldn't. The CPAP made a horrible noise. And when she didn't use it, she snored terribly (which was why she needed the CPAP). A absolutely wonderful couple and she couldn't help that she snored. But we simply couldn't sleep.

My doctor wants me to have a sleep test because Inow snore...so does Rick. I won't do it because I won't wear the CPAP anyway. I don't want to deal with wearing one or cleaning one. Doctor thinks that could be some of what's causing my headaches.

There's a new kind of CPAP with no mask. I don't know much about it.
You can’t even hear my machine. I have to use it because sleep apnea triggers my atrial fibrillation.

JohnYYZ

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It took me more than a month of trying, to be able to get to a point of being able to sleep with it. I also had to experiment with different masks. Cannot use a full mask, only a nasal pillow. I still hate using the machine as anything on my head really heats me up. Grumpy but still using... Good luck!

Boris Diamond

Cat Valet
Top Cat
Purraise
I have used one for five years. I can sleep through disturbances - cats and other - so it was not too hard to get used to. It is not pleasing to have to use, but for me at least, worth the effort. I tried a full face mask and did not like it. I tried one type of nose pillow. Did not work well for me. Now I use Phllips Dreamwear nose pillow. It is very adjustable and I can get comfortable with it. Try different types of masks. Several people I know like the nose pillows. You may find one that lets you sleep better.

I hope you can get used to this device. It should make you feel better rested, in addition to helping with the atrial fibrillation.

Neko-chan's mama

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
My husband has used one for about 15 years now. It took him a couple months to get used to it. Most nights the first few weeks, it wound up being taken off and thrown on the floor. But when he realized he felt better with it, he learned.

JohnYYZ

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My husband has used one for about 15 years now. It took him a couple months to get used to it. Most nights the first few weeks, it wound up being taken off and thrown on the floor. But when he realized he felt better with it, he learned.
I agree, I was frustrated to the high Heavens. I actually had to take a short term leave from work to adjust to being able to sleep with it for a couple of months because the first breakin period was so miserable for me, but using it really does change your energy levels, short term pain, long term gain. For all that need it, please stick with it, you'll get there!!

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
Do we have anyone who uses one? Please tell me you get used to it!! Last night was my first time using it and I have to say it was the WORST nights sleep I have ever had.
Mine is over the nose. Other kinds I found to be uncomfortable. If it dries out your mouth like mine,put water in except then it makes it hard to breath

nurseangel

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I know lots of people who have them, with good reason, but don't think I could tolerate one. One of those little sleep masks you put over your eyes to keep light out gets on my nerves so much that I can't stand it.

Some people do well with oxygen via nasal cannula, but I don't know that I could stand it, either.

Purrfect Meow

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It took me a lot longer than most of you to get use to my CPAP. About 6 months before it became second nature. Nasal pillow worked best for me, but everyone is different. Having a unit you can add DE-mineralized water too does help a lot with the dryness. At least it did for me. Another thing, don't forget to clean the hose and nose/mouthpiece as recommended and change the air filters.

CPAP's do work, but not everyone can get use to them. I was initially told if you can wear it 4 hours a night your golden. I had to do that for quite a while, but now I sleep so well with it I don't want to be without it.