covid and cats

thefiresidecat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
we just got the bad news we have covid. we have four cats. pretty sure we've had covid for a few days now. would you isolate your cats or just continue as is? hubby thinks just as is. I don't know. thinking as is because it's already been a few days now and we were prob contagious before symptoms. but.. I mean its really really rare for cats to get sick yeah?

margecat

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Hubby and I had it last month. We didn't do anything special with the cats, and they are ok.

People also ask

"Can I transmit Covid to my cat?

The risk of animals spreading SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes COVID-19, to people is low. The virus can spread from people to animals during close contact. More studies and surveillance are needed to understand how SARS-CoV-2 is spread between people and animals."

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
I agree with your hubby. I had Covid awhile back and my husband had it last year. We didn't do anything different and our cat was fine. I did wash my hands thoroughly before giving him his nightly med but once again he was alright.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I hadn't heard much about domesticated cats getting really sick with COVID. The original virus did hit the big cats in zoos, the Columbus zoo lost their tiger to the original virus. The virus has changed as has immunities in people and animals so I haven't heard about big cats being seriously affected by it in a while.