COVID-19 in cats?

raiinexii

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So, recently, a couple people in my family have gotten COVID-19 (3 people). We all live in the same house, so the people who have gotten it are quarantining inside a room right now.
But, I have been in close contact with people who have tested positive over the past three days, and before that (before any symptoms came up)
I have also heard that cats can catch COVID-19 right now, and I feel scared. Since I am one of two caretakers, I am very important to making sure they are well-fed, have clean water, etc.
Is there anything I can do to prevent them from catching it? I know the chances are low, but they are never zero. Also, if they do get it, do the animals end up fine?
Another thing, what should I do to prevent myself from giving it to them just in-case?

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi raiinexii raiinexii ,
I believe that when a few people test positive in th house, it may mean the virus is everywhere by then, since it had days to spread all over, cats included.
Some say that cats and dogs (and other animals too) can get the virus, but I rarely heard of a bad outcome from that.
We were both positive in the house, and my cat was fine.

The best prevention you could do is to avoid any contact with them, no touching, no staying in the same room or things like this, but, as I said above, by now the virus is all over the place, and it was all lover the place even before you realized someone of you was positive.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

raiinexii

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi raiinexii raiinexii ,
I believe that when a few people test positive in th house, it may mean the virus is everywhere by then, since it had days to spread all over, cats included.
Some say that cats and dogs (and other animals too) can get the virus, but I rarely heard of a bad outcome from that.
We were both positive in the house, and my cat was fine.

The best prevention you could do is to avoid any contact with them, no touching, no staying in the same room or things like this, but, as I said above, by now the virus is all over the place, and it was all lover the place even before you realized someone of you was positive.
Okay, thank you so much! I’ll try to be more careful, did u clean and feed them normally or?

Tik cat's mum

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My daughter and her 3 kid's all caught covid, she has 3 cat's. None of the cat's got ill she was worried about them like you. All she did was try her best not to pet them and before giving any food made sure her hands were clean. One of them decided to open her bedroom door whilst she slept and join her on the bed. He was fine. From what I've heard it does not pass easily to cat's.

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Okay, thank you so much! I’ll try to be more careful, did u clean and feed them normally or?
I just kept doing the same things as usual. I didn't care too much about it, to be honest.
I think I didn't even kept myself from kissing her.
I had one kitty only at that time, she was 7 months old when we got the Covid. The second kitty arrived 8 months later.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I hope that everyone recovers in your household. Keep practicing good care for everyone, including the cats. I had a very early and severe case of COVID just before the big lockdown on March 2020. Had to go to the ER, lost sense of taste, got a little delusional, the works. My cats were fine, and I remember holding onto Jamie and telling him that I was sorry that I could not take care of him....and he was completely fine.