Covetrus click dose pens

saraandmaxi

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Has anyone used Covetrus click dose pens? They aren’t twist a dose pens; you click the end like a pen. I’m on my third pen and having some issues with the pens malfunctioning. I am supposed to be giving my cat two clicks of Prednisolone per day (5 mg total). However, sometimes the first click, the pen jams and the end doesn’t pop out for a while. Then when I click again, it does dispense, but I’m not sure if it’s one or two clicks worth. I started a new pen today, which I was looking forward to after the last pen kept malfunctioning. I thought hopefully the next pen wouldn’t have the same issue. I prepped it ahead of time yesterday. Directions say to click it however many times it takes to dispense medication, wipe it clean, and cap it. Then it’s ready to be used. Well went to use today and the first click, it didn’t jam, but it also didn’t dispense anything until after the second click, again leaving me to wonder if it was one or two clicks. It looked like more than one clicks worth, but probably not two clicks worth. I’m starting to get super frustrated because I need to properly dose my cat. He has IBD and whenever I try to taper, he reacts poorly, so I want to make sure he gets 5 mg per day. Has anyone else had this experience and has any advice??

Has anyone used Covetrus click dose pens? They aren’t twist a dose pens; you click the end like a pen. I’m on my third pen and having some issues with the pens malfunctioning. I am supposed to be giving my cat two clicks of Prednisolone per day (5 mg total). However, sometimes the first click, the pen jams and the end doesn’t pop out for a while. Then when I click again, it does dispense, but I’m not sure if it’s one or two clicks worth. I started a new pen today, which I was looking forward to after the last pen kept malfunctioning. I thought hopefully the next pen wouldn’t have the same issue. I prepped it ahead of time yesterday. Directions say to click it however many times it takes to dispense medication, wipe it clean, and cap it. Then it’s ready to be used. Well went to use today and the first click, it didn’t jam, but it also didn’t dispense anything until after the second click, again leaving me to wonder if it was one or two clicks. It looked like more than one clicks worth, but probably not two clicks worth. I’m starting to get super frustrated because I need to properly dose my cat. He has IBD and whenever I try to taper, he reacts poorly, so I want to make sure he gets 5 mg per day. Has anyone else had this experience and has any advice??
Edit to add: transdermal medication is the only option. He is a nightmare to medicate. Transdermal has been a god send for us.

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. There should be, in small writing, an area on the pen that states how many MG/ML. Most likely it will be something like 5 mg per0.2 ML or something like that. You can go to your veterinarian and ask them for a one ML size syringe, and you can measure it that way.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

saraandmaxi

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi. There should be, in small writing, an area on the pen that states how many MG/ML. Most likely it will be something like 5 mg per0.2 ML or something like that. You can go to your veterinarian and ask them for a one ML size syringe, and you can measure it that way.
Thanks, but it is a click dose pen. It looks like a marker. It is 2.5 mg per click. My problem is the pen/marker seems to malfunction and I can’t tell if it is properly dispensing two clicks worth or not.

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I am familiar with click pens. So, although it lists 2.5 mg/click, it also must list somewhere either what the mg/ml is or what the total amount of clicks per the total volume. Since a click is not a standard measurement, somewhere the mg/ volume must be listed. Legally, they have to state that.