Could someone help me in figuring out what breed or breeds my cats are..

hurleybaby1286

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
There is no doubt that my cats are mixed. Their mom gets out once and awhile and comes back pregnant. I have two cats from the same litter. I am trying to find out what breed or breeds they have. One of my cats seems to me as Nebelung. And reading I found that they are rare and the parents have to pass on certain genes. Psyco, my blue kitty, is the only one out of his litter, and any of the others his mother has had really, of his color and the way he looks. His littermate, McLovin, looks nothing like him except for when they both stare directly at you, their faces are shaped the same and their eyes are the same color.

I have read tons on the Russian Blue and the Nebelung and I am really convinced that they may be "part" Nebelung, if this is possible. McLovin is the runt so I am not really going by his nature to figure out their breed. Their brother is my sister's mom's cat and he is just like Psyco only jet black and puffier.

Russian Blues and Nebelungs seem to have the same demeanor only I see a lot that Nebelungs know your moods. Both know my mood all the time. I have been crying and talking with my fiance and they will move in between us and cuddle right up to me as if to cheer me up.

Psyco, my blue cat, looks just like a Nebelung, spitting image really. And McLovin is the typical black and white cat with white mitten paws.

I know that they are obviously Domestic Long Hair but I was wondering if there was a way to be more specific. Maybe someone could help me or guide me into the right direction as to how to find out what breed or breeds my cats are, that would be awesome. How would you actually go about finding out what breed your cat is? Or maybe someone could just tell me if it is obvious.

I can't seem to put pictures in this so maybe someone could reply with an e-mail or something and I can send photos of my cats to them. Or just tell me how to do it. I am very new to this site.

Thank you!

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It's most likely that they are Domestic Longhair - Nebelung is VERY rare, and would not be found in the regular population. You can go to a website like www.photobucket.com, create an account, and upload photos to it. Then, when you click on a photo, you will see something that says IMG code - when you click on the code it will copy it, and you can paste it in here.

Also, I would suggest talking to your vet about getting your kitty spayed. She'll be much healthier for it - pregnancy is hard on a kitty, and you risk her life, and the life and health of her kittens.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

hurleybaby1286

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The mother is not my cat it is actually a friend of mine's cat. They tend to just let her run wild and such. They really do not pay much attention to their pets really. They are nice people and they give the cats and the dog whatever they need but they don't pay too much attention to them other than that. My boys are fixed.

Domestic Longhair though I feel is a breed that is thrown out there when you don't really know. Is it an actual breed?

katkisses

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just looked up Nebelungs, and honestly I have seen several cats that look just like that. Those cats were all just Domestic Longhaired cats. I have a cat that looks alot like a Bombay, but I know he isn't. They are rare, and if someone forked out the $$$ to buy one it would probably be altered/microchipped/ and kept indoors. BYBs usually stick to the "better known" breeds.

Domestic Longhaired are cats that are from unknown orgin, it is not a breed. It is used for any cat that has long hair who's parents do not have papers or are unknown. A cat does not have to be a breed to be a great cat!

There is no way to know for sure, but either way you have some wonderful cats.

I am glad that your cats are fixed, shame on your neighbors though!

hurleybaby1286

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I would love for my friend to get their mom spayed but they just don't see their pets being fixed as big a priority.

She has had too many to count litters and I am surprised my cats did not end up with a disease or parasite or anything, they are lucky.

My cats just had fleas and ear mites when really little which we cleared up right away. We are lucky to have these wonderful little guys they keep me sane and they take good care of me.

Thanks for the advice. I just was more curious than anything as to which breed they had in them. I was brought up with dogs and we always knew what breed they were or even their mix but I guess with cats it is very different.

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I show my cats and have a cat that has rb in her.
This is cat is just a dlh.
It does not look anything like a RB or a Nebelung.
I do not even send many of them at shows.
Tell you friend her cat will get sick from breeding with strays.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The poor mother cat...she'll eventually die from having too many litters. I tend to kidnap my neighbor's cats and have them spayed. I don't think they even notice. It would be a mercy for the poor cat if someone could do that.

Anyway, cats aren't like dogs. Almost all dogs have some identifiable breed in them, even if very mixed. Cats are just cats, the purebreeds are not common. A domestic shorthair/longhair is just what the breeds were before someone started selectively breeding for specific traits.

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How terribly sad for the mum cat. If the owners really did give their animals "whatever they need" she would be spayed.
Perhaps you could locate a low cost program and they would be more willing if it didn't cost much? There are many US member who could point you in the right direction for that.

Your cats are beautiful but no specific breeds.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Both domestics (one is long hair, one is short hair). The "gray" one would be called a blue longhair, the other a black & white bicolor.

Both of your kitties are very pretty. I would work on how to get mom cat spayed quickly if at all possible.

Dogs are much more "diverse" in types so you can pick out "breeds" a lot easier. With cats, they really are not much different from each other. The noticable differences would be in coat - long, short, curly or no coat. Body structure would be 2nd.

hurleybaby1286

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yea well my friend explained it to me anyway. One of the reasons it is so difficult to identify breeds of cats is that even though the cats are from the same litter they can still have different fathers. This is so because each kitten in the womb has a separate embrionic sac. Which would explain why McLovin and Psyco look nothing aloke except for the shapes of their faces. McLovin is bigger than Psyco too even though both are pretty small and McLovin, the nicolored cat, is the runt. Thank you everyone I thought my kitties were beautiful and cute just because they were mine and I had to put a lot of work to get them to the healthy state they are in but you all seem to agree which makes me feel special LOL hehe.

As far as their mom goes. I don't know what to do because in our statethe only low cost programs go off of household income. That includes the traveling kitty bus and the SNAP program which is what I used for my babies. Their income would be considered too high because all four people living in that house work. They cannot afford to get all THREE cats spayed and the LARGE dog as well. It is sad and I have a hard time going there sometimes because the house is not in the most cleanest states and I am sure it is very stressful and very unsafe for the mom and I have said something and politely but I think they are very hyped on how beautiful the kittens are. Although I think they are going to do something soon becaue she seems to be having litters back to back now and it is gettng out of control. They also own one of her sons from a previous litter and I think the supicion that they have been incestual is becoming more real. I know for a fact that my kitties are not a product from their brother though because he was too young at the time they were born, thank goodness.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by HurleyBaby1286

Although I think they are going to do something soon becaue she seems to be having litters back to back now and it is gettng out of control. They also own one of her sons from a previous litter and I think the supicion that they have been incestual is becoming more real.
Yes, cats always have "back-to-back" litters; they have 2, sometimes 3 litters a year. It gets out of control very quickly. If they have 3 unspayed females, they're going to have 24 or more kittens per year....I don't think anyone can really deal with that. Spaying their dog isn't quite as pressing (though still important)---dogs only go into heat twice a year, and it's a simple matter of keeping her away from males during that time. With some effort they could manage to never have accidental puppies. But cats are almost always in heat when not pregnant, and any unspayed cat allowed outdoors WILL get pregnant. And they will mate with their sons/brothers. Cats don't have any particulars about that.

I can only think that things will be getting very bad for your neighbors soon. Finding homes for 2 dozen kittens is very hard, they'll likely end up with a lot of them still in the house, and when they reach breeding age (as young as 4 months is possible) they'll have even more. I do hope they can do something about it soon. Perhaps if they call the local rescue agency they can recommend a course of action, maybe they know of a group that will finance the spays.

hurleybaby1286

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I hope they do something soon. They only have the one female cat, thank god! But still I know how important it is but it is up to them at this point I have tried to get them to fix ALL of their animals, not just the one female. They just yea me to death and she has another litter. There really is not more I can do. I do not live that close to them so I can't steal the cat while she is outside and get her fixed then bring her back. All I can do at this point is point them in the right direction, which I have, and hope that they will take action before it is too late.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, it's good they only have the one female. Intact males will fight a lot, tend to wander, and they usually spray urine everywhere (and it STINKS!), but at least they can't get pregnant. If they're willing to live with tomcat pee all over their house, that's their problem. But the poor girl does need to be spayed. Even if they say they wanted to breed (not that anyone should be breeding without due diligence as to placing the kittens, plus health and temperment, something you can't have control over if she goes outside), anyone who cares about their female won't let her have more than 3-4 litters. It's very hard on her body and takes its toll eventually.

ferriscat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Willowy

anyone who cares about their female won't let her have more than 3-4 litters. It's very hard on her body and takes its toll eventually.
Anyone who cares about their PET won't let them have any litters at all with the neighborhood tom!

Now that being said, ethical breeders very frequently will let their girls have more than 3-4 litters over the course of their lifetime. It all depends on the quality of what they are producing and how well their bodies withstand the tolls of delivery and nursing.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by FerrisCat

Anyone who cares about their PET won't let them have any litters at all with the neighborhood tom!
Well, of course! But since some people do fancy themselves to be "breeders", and will do ti no matter what anyone says, they should at least know that there's a limit to how many litters a queen can have. I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that responsible breeders limit their queens to 3-4 litters, but I have no personal experience. Except to say that the farm cats I've known all died after their 8th-10th litters.

sohni

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Yes, cats will come into heat before their current litters are finished nursing. Therefore, if left to breed unchecked, they are nourishing babies inside as well as outside. It will reduce them to skin and bones. As breeders, we take responsibility and ensure our queens are at a healthy weight and condition before allowing them to be bred again.