Could My Cat Be Pregnant?

dm.nicole

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi all. I'm new here - been digging in the threads trying to find answers to my questions, but decided to just post and see what everyone thinks.
On October 17th I adopted a cat (Lilac) and her 6 1-week old kittens (born October 10th). The woman I got the cat from said she was an indoor/outdoor cat, but due to her having kittens she was trying to keep her inside, but I don't know if she actually kept her inside the whole week until I picked her up. Well, the kittens are now about 4 weeks old and healthy. Lilac is a GREAT mom and is kept inside. We free-feed her dry food (a mix of kitten and adult cat food) and give her wet food 2-3 times a week - I just wanted to make sure she is getting enough nutrients for her 6 adorable babies.

I'm starting to think she might be pregnant again, and pretty far along (maybe 3.5 - 4 weeks?). Her tummy is getting pretty big again and when I touch her abdomen I feel little flutters, almost like bubbles popping.
Is it possible that she got pregnant in the week between her having her kittens and me picking her up? Everything I've seen says to check her nipples, but with her nursing, it's a little hard to tell.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Welcome to The Cat Site. I don't know too much about cat pregnancies, other than things I've read here, but I know cats can get pregnant while still nursing. I also know back-to-back pregnancies are hard on a cat. Can you take her to a vet? An ultrasound would confirm if she is in fact pregnant again, and how far along she is.

daisyd

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi welcome ! There are tons of experienced people on here who know about nursing cats and kittens , I do know they can go back into heat as early as 6 weeks after kittens , it’s quite rare within a week but wise to check with vet

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi welcome ! There are tons of experienced people on here who know about nursing cats and kittens , I do know they can go back into heat as early as 6 weeks after kittens , it’s quite rare within a week but wise to check with vet
Cats can get pregnant again within a week of delivery, and they don’t have to be in heat to get pregnant.

Sadly, it’s really not uncommon at all.

I agree that it would be helpful to get a scan at the vet. If you can feel them move, she is probably getting near to the end. Thank you for taking care of this family.

daisyd

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Gosh I thought it was rare .. See I told you there are experts on here who know far more than me :)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

dm.nicole

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you all, I will have to get her a check-up. I knew it is possible to get pregnant while nursing, but I thought it was usually after 6 weeks, it's unfortunate that it's common for cats to fall pregnant again so soon after birth. And I also know back to back pregnancies and pregnancies while nursing are really hard on cats. We were planning on getting her spayed after this litter that we got her with- I don't feel comfortable doing it while she is nursing, although I know it's possible.

ashade1

Wild and Wonderful Animal Rescue Director
Top Cat
Purraise
I had a momma cat that came to us pregnant. She gave birth and just kept getting fatter- which is unusual because my mommas usually get skinny while nursing! I felt popping in her belly and thought oh my goodness there is no way she is pregnant again! Took her for an xray and the vet said she was just fat and gassy :flail: hope that is all it is with your momma! We would love to see pictures!