Could my cat be displaying signs of tinnitus?

coldcanyon70

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So this may be strange, but I'm worried my turkish van Dennis have some sort of ear trauma, and is experience tinnitus (ringing in ear.) He is 6 months old. about a month ago a very loud leaf blower was right outside my apartment for what felt like a while. he was hiding under the coach, clearly hating the noise. since then, he seems very adverse to construction workers, trucks, etc. he also would wander the neighborhood, so i wonder if he approached some big machine

I will say he has always been very active, to say the least, and alert, and unfortunately, rather aggressive with our older russian blue.

but in the last month, we commented that he just seems somewhat...distressed. we fostered kittens which he seemed very alert towards, but its more than that. he always just seems distressed, his ears are always perked and he twitches his ears a lot, as if he is trying to find out where the noise is coming from. he sleeps, but ill notice he often lies down with his eyes open flicking his tail like he is distressed.

another habit he has taken too is spending hours laying under the car in the garage, sometimes up to 4-5 hours.

its hard to really explain, this probably sounds like normal cat behavior but if you knew him from before you could see there is a 'difference'. here is a video i made. note his eyes/ears just like frantic, like there a sound constantly bothering him he just cant find/understand:

does my cat have tinnitus - YouTube

any opinions would be appreciated, thanks!

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi, --have you had him in for a wellness check recently? He's beautiful, 💕 . Frantic seems a little more than what I'm seeing, to me he just seems super alert. When you head to the vet, show this video to them.

Have you tried soothing classical harp music? It might be the best variety of Cat music for him.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

coldcanyon70

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi, --have you had him in for a wellness check recently? He's beautiful, 💕 . Frantic seems a little more than what I'm seeing, to me he just seems super alert. When you head to the vet, show this video to them.

Have you tried soothing classical harp music? It might be the best variety of Cat music for him.
ive been to the vet and showed the video, he didnt think much of it. but it was a vert assistant, not the full time vet