Could Ibuprofin Decrease Red Blood Cell Count In Weeks?

Motto011

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I had to put my 9 year old cat down yesterday, his red blood cell count was 6% and he was panting and starting to lose control of his muscles. The vet said it was most likely a chronic condition because his body had adjusted to the extremely low blood cell count until yesterday. If it was an acute condition he would not be functioning like he was. My dad revealed that he had given him half an advil 2 weeks ago but he threw up afterwards. Could the ibuprofin have decreased his rbc count to 6% in just 2 weeks without symptoms?

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I am not sure. Ibuprofin is an NSAID and the main concern with NSAIDS in cats is kidney damage. They lack the enzyme in their liver to break down NSAIDS and the kidneys do all the work of filtering it out of the blood. Did the vet check his kidney function?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Motto011

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
No, she just said the rbc count was so low that it most likely chronic. The minimum the RBC count for a cat should be around 30% and his was 6%, to get to that level and still be functional like he was his body must have had time to adjust and so it must have been chronic. I feel like everything happened so fast and the vet was basically saying no matter what we do his prognosis was not looking so good. I feel so heart broken.

silkenpaw

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I am so sorry about your kitty.

Ibuprofen toxicity involves the kidneys and stomach. Kidneys secrete a hormone that tells the bone marrow to make red blood cells, that’s why anemia occurs in chronic renal failure. Ibuprofen can also damage the stomach lining and cause bleeding and eventually anemia. Both of these effects take time to happen, so I doubt very much that a single ibuprofen tablet given a week before the symptoms were detected was the cause. I think your cat had a chronic condition going on that was not detected previously.

Again, I am so sorry about your cat. Everyone here understands how you feel. What was his name? I’ll light a candle for him this evening.

Motto011

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
His name was Marshmallow, he was the sweetest little soul. Our family has never had such an attachment to an animal like this before, he was my dad's best friend and brought out a side of him we had never seen before. I just keep going through the whole scenario at the vet over and over again. I keep remembering his big yellow eyes and his lifeless body after the euthanasia. This really hurts.

Motto011

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My husband and friends don't really understand how much it hurts, thank you so much for your kind words, it really means a lot.

I am so sorry about your kitty.

Ibuprofen toxicity involves the kidneys and stomach. Kidneys secrete a hormone that tells the bone marrow to make red blood cells, that’s why anemia occurs in chronic renal failure. Ibuprofen can also damage the stomach lining and cause bleeding and eventually anemia. Both of these effects take time to happen, so I doubt very much that a single ibuprofen tablet given a week before the symptoms were detected was the cause. I think your cat had a chronic condition going on that was not detected previously.

Again, I am so sorry about your cat. Everyone here understands how you feel. What was his name? I’ll light a candle for him this evening.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I am so sorry this happened. There is something about the open eyes after they go that is haunting. I had one euthanized in January. I was holding him and he went very peacefully. I bent down to kiss the top of his head after he was gone and I kind of wish I hadn't, that was when I seen his eyes open.

Motto011

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm so very sorry for your loss. It definitely is haunting, to see something that had life and was such a source of joy and happiness just abruptly stop, it felt like the world lost a little bit of light.

I am so sorry this happened. There is something about the open eyes after they go that is haunting. I had one euthanized in January. I was holding him and he went very peacefully. I bent down to kiss the top of his head after he was gone and I kind of wish I hadn't, that was when I seen his eyes open.