Could I have been terminated on my first day?

lallorona

Cat Munster
Super Cat
Purraise
On Thursday I started my first job. The night before I had gotten a phone call to go in the next day from 8 am to 4 pm. The next day as soon as I got there they immediately put us to work. It was a very busy and heavy day. However, after our break we had been informed that we will most likely be let out between 6-7 pm. I was unable to stay passed 4 because I had already made plans to pick up my grandmother from the airport at 4:30, and I was the only available ride. I told the manager I had to clock out at 4 and she said it was fine. I did not tell her my reason though because I was in a hurry. I was not the only one clocking out at that time though. I asked my manager what time I should come in the next day and she said "I have your phone number, so I will call you." I have not received a phone call from her yet. I feel like maybe she may have terminated me and anyone else who left. I saw that someone had clocked out even earlier as well. I called the number she had called me from but it was from another store (same company) and I gave them my name and number for my manager to contact me back. I work in a new store that they opened so I do not have that phone number yet. I'm worried. It took almost a year for me to find a job and now that I land one I feel like I blew my chance.

Here's the thing though, while interviewed the manager told me that this was not a promising position because they are hiring 50 people to open up the store & organize everything, and out of 50 people only 20 people will stay. First the manager said that the store will open next Saturday, and then on Thursday (thanksgiving day) they said it will open the following day (black Friday). There was a rumor going around that once the store is open then 30 people will be let go. There were a lot of rumors that day. But I mean they can't just make us work only on the first day and the next let go of 30 of us can they? I don't know how all this works so if anyone has a similar experience may you please explain how it works? Also, could asking to leave have caused me to be terminated? Thanks in advance. I know this is something I should ask my manager but since I have no form of contact with her I decided to post it on here and see if anyone can give me any form of possibilities before I get a call back from her and that's IF she calls me back.

Last edited:

sugarsandz

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Some businesses will do this. I had a friend who almost took a job where only half the new hires would be able to stay but another offer came along so she turned it down. This was also a new store opening. It's sad how some companies treat people.

I'm sorry they never got back with you. :(

If you are still unsure I'd try to contact them again.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lallorona

Cat Munster
Super Cat
Purraise
Some businesses will do this. I had a friend who almost took a job where only half the new hires would be able to stay but another offer came along so she turned it down. This was also a new store opening. It's sad how some companies treat people.

I'm sorry they never got back with you. :(

If you are still unsure I'd try to contact them again.
They should at least call instead of having them wait. The manager also told me that there will be a 30-90 day probation period. I mean i would rather this be a temp job, than a 1-day job. It would be such a shame if I am infact terminated, & they don't even pay me for that one day. The next day I woke up with a tremendous body ache from all the working I did that I couldn't even get out of bed lol. Hopefully the manager gives me a call tomorrow to work on Monday. :(

Last edited:

sugarsandz

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
They should still pay you for the time you put in, I'd get a hold of them if they don't contact you soon. They also could just be waiting to call you back in, either way it's better to know for sure. 

I worked a temp job where they were really bad about calling me at the last minute to come in even though it was supposed to be a set schedule.

I wish you the best of luck!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lallorona

Cat Munster
Super Cat
Purraise
They should still pay you for the time you put in, I'd get a hold of them if they don't contact you soon. They also could just be waiting to call you back in, either way it's better to know for sure. 

I worked a temp job where they were really bad about calling me at the last minute to come in even though it was supposed to be a set schedule.

I wish you the best of luck!
Thank you! I really appreciate it =)

kimkats000

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I would go down to the store to talk to the manager in person. That will show her that you do want the job and care.

Time and effort=caring

It is not unusual for a store to over hire because they KNOW that only about 1/4 of the people will work out for one reason or another.

Good luck!

Kim

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
I agree that you should go down to the store and talk to the manager in person.

Good luck!

swampwitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I would go down to the store to talk to the manager in person. That will show her that you do want the job and care.
 Good advice, and maybe your only shot at keeping the job. If you really want it, I would even go so far as to bring your grandma's boarding pass to show she was on the plane and explain you had to pick her up. Tell them you are willing to work any and all hours in the future. 

If that doesn't work, then maybe it wasn't the best job after all. Sounds like the bosses there might not be that great to work for. And they HAVE to pay you for the time you worked, that wasn't a freebie.

Last edited:

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
I agree that you should go down to the store and talk to the manager in person.

Good luck!

Good advice, and maybe your only shot at keeping the job. If you really want it, I would even go so far as to bring your grandma's boarding pass to show she was on the plane and explain you had to pick her up. Tell them you are willing to work any and all hours in the future. 

If that doesn't work, then maybe it wasn't the best job after all. Sounds like the bosses there might not be that great to work for. And they HAVE to pay you for the time you worked, that wasn't a freebie.
Good advice here, and totally agree on expecting pay.  No one was there on the understanding they were working for free!   If they are letting you go you have a right to be told and to be told why. Either way, they don't sound like the best or fairest employer so far but maybe there is some information you don't know about.  Go in so they have to explain face to face.