Cough/Asthma Attack, no other symptoms

pokechan

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Poke had a minor cough/asthma attack, it was minor and went away shortly. Last time he had a coughing fit like this was a year ago when we used cheap dusty litter sand. Hasn't had any problems since then. What could it be? Is it cause for concern? He is fine otherwise.

solomonar

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
There is a maneuver that reveals active asthma. Cough alone may not be relevant.

My tomcat has asthma. I did the following:
- use the dust-free non-clumping wood litter and/or high-quality large granule silicate
- thoroughly clean the floors using only water
- remove dust from furniture

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

pokechan

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
There is a maneuver that reveals active asthma. Cough alone may not be relevant.

My tomcat has asthma. I did the following:
- use the dust-free non-clumping wood litter and/or high-quality large granule silicate
- thoroughly clean the floors using only water
- remove dust from furniture
What is the maneuver? Currently we use clean paws dust free unccented. We did some cleaning two days ago, perhaps it picked up some dust. My wife did use firbreez around his litter box, but would it make sense for him to have a delayed reaction to it?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

pokechan

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I do have a question, what is considered a normal breathing pattern when exercising or playing? When sleeping Poke takes between 25-30 breaths per minute. When we play and run around he breathes more heavily, no open mouth however and sometimes takes one deep breath, almost like a sigh when we stop to take a break. Should I be able to hear him breathe at this point? Just want to know what normal sounds like.

solomonar

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
The vet grabs the cat from the backside, both palms beneath the front paws armpits, and gently squeezes the body. If asthma is active, the cat will caugh. I strongly do not recommend performing this maneuver yourself. It is for trained persons only.

In absence of any objective sign of asthma, I am not sure that Poke had an attack.

It is very easy to misinterpret the signs, cats are so mysterious creatures. Myself, when in doubt, I go to the vet as soon as possible.

The fact that you spotted Poke caught in a particular moment does not mean that he did it for the first time at that moment. To avoid silent progression of asthma (or whatever else it might be) I think a visit to the vet is advisable.

If not possible, have a look at your places and clean up dust, get rid of bugs (if any), wash all furniture textiles two times.

====

Thumbs up for your scientific approach to breathing!

A healthy breathing rate is 16 to 40 breaths per minute, in resting calm or sleeping. Rapid breathing (above 40) should be ok if occurs during play and get down immediately after. But these figures are a rough guide, the vet is the only one to evaluate whether there is a pulmonary condition. A lot of other causes of cough or abnormal breathing are possible.

===

I do not know anything about the Clean Paws dust-free unscented brand.