Cost of major grocery items in your area

catkiki

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We have a Foodmaxx here. They are a lot cheaper than the big stores This is some of what I got yesterday. I rarely buy name brand, so these are all store brands except when noted.

1 lb butter $1.90
1/2 gal 1% milk $1.35
32 oz strawberry yogurt $1.82
1 celery stalk $0.48
11.31 lb whole frozen hen turkey $4.18
3.11 lb 73% ground beef $6.16
2 - jar pasta sauce $0.88 ea
2 - box golden grain spaghetti noodles $0.98 ea
loaf bread $1.27
0.56 lb Irish cream coffee ground $3.91
0.50 lb French vanilla coffee ground $3.50
Friskies canned food $2.80/for 5 cans
Friskies party mix treats $1.25

All told, I spent $96.49. The receipt tells my what I saved over the big names stores. I saved $55.18, and they gave me a $5 gift card!!

I forgot to get eggs when I went yesterday, so I went after church.

18 pack large eggs $2.47
Pillsbury Cinnamon rolls $1.88
7 lb bag ice $0.97

total $5.40
after using the gift card, I paid 40 cents!!! I had the same checker as yesterday, and she told me the $5 gift card promotion ended yesterday!!!

DH and I will always pray before we go and ask God to give us good deals and to bless our shopping.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by icklemiss21

The meat and produce in Walmart here never looks fresh though, the meat is always turning an off colour
Are you going by how red beef looks? If so, that's not really a good way to tell because those nice red "fresh" looking meats can often times be dyed with red dye or have CO2 injected in. Now if it's turning green, you have a problem.

I rarely shop for food at Wal-mart, but Sam's meats always look great with good dates on them. Probably do to product turn over.

icklemiss21

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Not just beef, I am aware of how they like to make meat look more appealing, I am especially talking about brown chicken

They do not have good turnover because the meats always have yellow sale stickers on them and look so bad

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Some of my prices from last week quick shopping trip at one of the two locally owned stores I shop at.

Name brand milk (Morning Glory in Wisconsin) skim is 2.29/gallon.
Kashi Honey Sunshine cereal 3.49/box
Back To Nature Cranberry Pecan granola 3.19
bagged Romaine mix lettuce 2 bags for 3.00
green pepper 69 cents
honey crisp apples 3 pounds for 2.99
64 oz tropicana grovestand oj 2.99

This store also provides a coupon for 3 cents off a gallon of gas purchased as well.

I usually buy ground chuck on sale at local butcher shop for $1.69/pound

Since I work at a artisan breadstore I do not have to pay for bread but a loaf of french (28 oz) is 3.50; 100% whole wheat bread (28 oz) is 4.50. Worth every penny!!

cheshirecat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Because of my walking limitations I shop at a small local market. Their prices are higher but it works for me.

I don't know the prices on a lot of the things that I routinely buy. Because this store is small they do not have computerized registers that list the item names. So what you get is a long strip of paper with numbers on it. Most weeks I spend anywhere from$100 to $120 if I buy real meat.

The coffee I buy is 4.69
toilet tissue 3.99
Bottled fruit flavored water 4.29 a six pack
Cat food is .79 or .89 for pouch or can
Frozen chicken blobs 7.99
Frozen chicken and pasta with tomato 7.99
Cereal is at least 5.00 a box and the selection if very limited.
I buy half gallons of skim milk and juice and have no idea what the price is.

Also, if I buy prepackaged lunch meat I must check the dates. (they have no deli) One week, after eating some I noticed the sell by date was over a month old. And one time I bought multi vitamins and they were a year out.

This store is a "regular" market but I think most of their business is in beer, cigarettes and lottery tickets.

When I first started shopping there they sold Chester's favorite treats at a lower price than the pet store. This really surprised me but I think that I was the only one buying them as they no longer carry them.

I could get better deals if I went to the regular chain stores but they are just too big for me to navigate.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by icklemiss21

Not just beef, I am aware of how they like to make meat look more appealing, I am especially talking about brown chicken

They do not have good turnover because the meats always have yellow sale stickers on them and look so bad
Walmart should have enough business to sell their meats... I live in a town of less than 9k and we have two full grocery stores + a Braums, they all manage to sell their meats.
I wonder if they're packaging things improperly or if their coolers aren't cold enough?

Except for the occasional package of wings, gizzards, or a full hen I like it get all of my chicken as boneless skinless breast or tenders that have been flash frozen. Not the cheapest per lb but none of us really like dark meat that often.
Prices vary on the bags.
Smaller ones can be $4 to $7 depending on sales and brand.
Large bag of Tyson brand at Sam's is $23 for 10lb.

icklemiss21

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I live in a city of 150k people, so yes they should but we do seem to have a lot of grocery stores

However, a lot of people boycott Walmart as they didnt want it to go in to begin with, for me it is closest to home and on the way back from the shelter so its the easy choice and fine for prepackaged / frozen meats but I rarely buy anything fresh there. Even Matt noticed their milk doesnt taste as fresh so it could be a cooling issue though

Moz

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sk_pacer

2l carton of 2% milk - 3.55
Hamburger - 2.49 at the local butcher, can generally get regular ground beef at either regular store for under 2.00 a pound
loaf of bread (type mostly irrelevant) - anywhere from 1.49 to 3.00, depending on loaf size and brand name. One store has a bakery, and you can get pretty fancy stuff for 1.99 a loaf - coarse white with chewy crust, steamed ryes, almost anything short of the mulitgrain and specialties. Specialties such as chop suey bread or cheese bread are around 5.00 a loaf
frozen veggies - 2x1kg for 5.98 store brand, otherwise, they ding you really good.
Everything's pretty much the same here. We buy at Superstore and things are fairly cheap there.

sk_pacer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Moz

Everything's pretty much the same here. We buy at Superstore and things are fairly cheap there.
I split my buying between Canadian Wholesale (almost the same as Superstore) and Co-op. Wholesale doesn't have a lot of stuff that I buy and I wont buy meat there except frozen if it is in the packer's packaging - the meat cooler in that store is down more than working, so just don't feel safe buying there.

icklemiss21

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by strange_wings

Walmart should have enough business to sell their meats... I live in a town of less than 9k and we have two full grocery stores + a Braums, they all manage to sell their meats.
I wonder if they're packaging things improperly or if their coolers aren't cold enough?
Out of curiousity, i counted the grocery stores in the city, there are 15 bigger grocery stores not including Costco, the small independent stores and butchers etc where people may be getting groceries as well as the ones in neighbouring cities (we border two cities without any green space in between) - I know I often shop in one of them so I am sure others do too