Cortavance linked to clear snot

Venla

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi everyone!
Long story not so short;

Our cat, Venla, gets her ears treated with Cortavance twice a week, after a long trial of trying meds that keep the yeast and bacteria away - Cortavance for ears and Itrafungal orally are the ones that work for her. She has had myringotomy done twice, over a year ago, she battled with middle ear infection for a long time, did myringotomie and a second CT scan showed that the infection is gone. She most likely still has a small hole in her right eardrum.

Medicated her ears on Sunday/Monday night, doing one ear at a time. I was stupid enough to medicate her right ear when she was sort of lying down. Immediately after putting the Cortavance in, she got an awful sneezing fit, and after a while clear snot came out. Today her nose made little wheezing sounds, so I made her sneeze by rubbing her gums, clear snot again. Sneezed her until nothing came out, few hours after that she had a sort of coughing fit that stopped pretty fast.

Any views on this? Her mucous membranes must be irritated because Cortavance is kind of hardcore, smells like the strongest liquor and has Propylene glycol methyl ether, in it, which is a solvent?

Should I just keep an eye on her for a while?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Venla

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Have you called the vet to tell them and ask what they think?

A small hole in her eardrum could be allowing the meds to travel through the eustachion tube canal? See pic for illustration, in case that helps you visualize it.
I haven’t yet, I will in the morning. I’ll call the vets office where they did her myringotomies, ct scans and where her usual vet is. Hopefully she’ll call me back tomorrow. She’s the one I trust with her ear issues. I’ll call the vet in our town too, incase they feel like she needs to be seen. She did have a sneezing fit months ago when we treated both ears at the same time, her vet didn’t seem too worried about it, just told us to carry on with a careful tactic that we had. That time it was different though, she didn’t sneeze like this days later, maybe little *tuff tuff* sneezes a couple of times. Now the medicatin position was really irresponsible too, from my part, so the meds probably had a straighter way to go in. No doubt I feel guilty, having all sorts of catastrophic thoughts running through my head.

About a year ago she got a headtilt from ear cleaning, because of the hole in the eardrum. Her ears are really small, so it’s hard to check her ears awake, they get itchy from the instrument, she gets really stressed.. etc. she has a dentist appointment next month at our usual vets office, so they’ll do an ear check up too.

Took photos of the snot too, so the vet can see how it looks like.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Venla

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Got a hold of her vet and she told me not to panic, that her mucus membranes are irritated because of Cortavance, there shouldn’t be any real damage done. Her nose might be a bit painful for some time, because of the position the meds ”had a better route to swim in.”

Definitely eased my worries, we’ll just have to wait.