Correct weight question

mrw5641

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
So my cat eats about 2 sevings of dry food around 6:20 am and probably doesn't finish until 8:30 am then gets some wet at 10:30 and 12:30

I weighed him at 7:50 he was 15.4, weight him again at 10:20 he was 15.4 then weight him again at 12:40 he was 14.6

I am curious to which is the most accurate weight?

amethyst

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
When weighing my cats I try to pick the same time of day every time, normally in the morning before I feed them. Their weight can fluctuate through the day depending on if they just ate, drank, peed, or pooped. Most cats tend to be on a schedule as to when they primarily eat and potty, so by weighing them at the same time of day each time it can help limit the variables.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. How are you weighing your cat? I bought a digital scale that can be converted from a baby/pet scale to a scale for human adults. I kept getting fluctuating numbers when I was using it as an adult scale (I would weigh myself, and then pick her up and weigh both of us - and subtract one from the other to determine her weight). I could do it 3 times in a row and come out with 3 different weights. I converted it back to a baby/pet scale and it seems to be - by far - more accurate and consistent with her weight. Although, I do try to weigh her about the same general time of the day.

I know of others who use a postal scale and find them to be very accurate as well. Either of these techniques require getting your cat used to sitting on the scale for at least a few seconds in order to get a reading. It only took Feeby 2-3 weigh ins (I weigh her once a week) before she figured out I wanted her to sit still, even if only for a few seconds!

If your cat won't sit still, you can use a carrier (or a box, etc.) to place them in and set it on the scale to get a weight. All you need to do ahead of time is weigh the carrier/box by itself so you can subtract that from the final reading.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mrw5641

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'd like to say his biggest meal of the day is the morning feeding at 6:30 and plus he hadn't pooped yet so I'm thinking his tummy is full around those times I weighed him.

I weighed myself and then weight him.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
So my cat eats about 2 sevings of dry food around 6:20 am and probably doesn't finish until 8:30 am then gets some wet at 10:30 and 12:30

I weighed him at 7:50 he was 15.4, weight him again at 10:20 he was 15.4 then weight him again at 12:40 he was 14.6

I am curious to which is the most accurate weight?
I would guess last meal or morning before he eats since food isnt digested til late in the day