Corona Virus - A Deal Breaker For New Kitten?

krystab

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
a lengthy bit of background - I currently have a 13 year old male cat, Casey, that I rescued from a shelter at 12 weeks of age. Back in June both of his companions (both male, 11.5 and 13) passed from health issues. They were both also rescues.

I have finally decided that it is time to get Casey a friend. He has been very lonely since becoming an only cat and I can't quit my job to stay home with him 24-7 :lol:. So just over a week ago I went looking for a new kitten - 5-6 months old and male were the general requirements. Personality was a big consideration.

I found a really cute 5 month old male orange tabby at a local rescue. Super sweet and super purry. He was with his 3 litter mates and all 4 were having some diarrhea/gastro issues. they were being treated for a suspected parasite so I pre-adopted him thinking after a few more days of antibiotics that he would be ready to come home. Unfortunately that was not the case. The diarrhea did not resolve so they were vet checked again at the end of last week and a fecal was sent off for analysis. They were not showing any other symptoms - eating fine, drinking fine, playing like typical kittens.

Today the results of the fecal came back - they have all tested positive for the corona virus :(. So now they are on a course of metro to try and get the diarrhea under control - since all you can do is treat the related symptoms while you wait for the virus to run it's course. Still eating like pigs and acting like normal kittens.

so here is my question/dilemma... should I still bring this kitten home (once the diarrhea has resolved of course)??

From my research I know that estimates are upwards of 80% of shelter cats have been exposed to the corona virus - so the chances are very high that Casey has been exposed at some point in his life - he was a shelter cat as were both of his brothers. I know that in a small percentage of cats corona can mutate into FIP but it's very rare and it usually doesn't turn to FIP in older cats. Casey is in very good health, no underlying medical conditions. He's only ever been to the vet for a ripped claw and dental issues when he had an infected canine that had to be removed.

I talked to my vet and he doesn't seem very concerned about the corona or the potential for the kitten to pass it to Casey. he is the most experienced vet at the practice and has won numerous awards. He figures that the chances that Casey hasn't already been exposed to corona are very low so it should not b-e an issue - and even if Casey hasn't been exposed corona typically causes a few days of gastro issues that resolve themselves without intervention or meds. He likened it to sending your kid to daycare - they are going to share germs with the other kids but the likelihood is it won't turn into anything serious. the vet says he would be more worried about the chance that they won't get along than the corona virus.

Thoughts?? What would you do??

Echy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I would wait a bit, until they can treat the virus of course. If you don't want to wait, Casey should be fine but there still is a chance he could get it.
If you don't wait, be careful and keep a close eye on Casey. Did you name the orange tabby yet?

Keep us informed and tell us what you plan on doing!

~Echy

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

krystab

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I would wait a bit, until they can treat the virus of course. If you don't want to wait, Casey should be fine but there still is a chance he could get it.
If you don't wait, be careful and keep a close eye on Casey. Did you name the orange tabby yet?

Keep us informed and tell us what you plan on doing!

~Echy
If I do decide to keep him he won't be coming home for at least a week - the diarrhea has to resolve first and then he needs to be vet checked again before they would allow him to leave.

The shelter calls him Scout. I haven't picked a name since I don't know his personality yet. he is in a no-kill shelter so he won't be euthanized because of the corona so I''m not worried about that. it's the risk to Casey that concerns me most... but I guess there is a very good chance that if I get a kitten from another shelter it might have corona and I wouldn't know about it... so devil you know versus devil you don't??

Echy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
If I do decide to keep him he won't be coming home for at least a week - the diarrhea has to resolve first and then he needs to be vet checked again before they would allow him to leave.

The shelter calls him Scout. I haven't picked a name since I don't know his personality yet. he is in a no-kill shelter so he won't be euthanized because of the corona so I''m not worried about that. it's the risk to Casey that concerns me most... but I guess there is a very good chance that if I get a kitten from another shelter it might have corona and I wouldn't know about it... so devil you know versus devil you don't??
Man, this must be putting you in a tough spot, I hope you choose the right decision. Whatever you choose, we shall support you. :) Most shelter cats have Corona, did Casey have corona when you rescued him?

Best regards,

~Echy

krystab

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Man, this must be putting you in a tough spot, I hope you choose the right decision. Whatever you choose, we shall support you. :) Most shelter cats have Corona, did Casey have corona when you rescued him?

Best regards,

~Echy
I have no clue if Casey has had corona. He’s never been tested but since he was a shelter cat it’s a pretty good chance he has...

krystab

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Update... after much discussion with the shelter owner and the vet I have decided not to adobt this kitten. He is already in a no kill so I’m sure they can find a home for him where there are no other cats.

It came down to the fact that there could be a chance of my 13 year old Casey catching the corona virus... and even a 5% risk is too much. I would never forgive myself if I brought the kitten in and Casey got extremely sick from it. He’s been my baby for 13 years and I had only spent a very short time with the new kitten

So now I’m back on the kitten trail... I did meet a super affectionate 3month old but I’m debating whether he’s too young. What has been everyone’s experience with introducing an older cat (13) to a young kitten (3 months)???

catdawg23

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Ugh this is my current dilemna as well but my situation is I already adopted the kitten and have him in a separate room but have 3 other cats ages 4, 4, and 9 and have no idea if they had corona. My new kitten has corona so I am unsure of what to do.. its breaking my heart thinking of getting rid of my new kitten but also dont want to risk my other cats.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Get Casey tested - if he has the corona virus, that should settle the whole deal, as once the sick kitten is on the mend, or you find another kitten with corona, it won't matter.

As I also told Catsdawg23, so many cats live entirely healthy lives with the corona virus in their system, and it never mutates to FIP. My cat did, but you know what, even if I would have known that upfront (which I didn't), I would have still taken my chance with Tawny. I loved every minute of the 15+ years I had him.

catdawg23

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
If the other cats somehow have never had the Corona virus then we introduce the new kitten wont they get the corona virus and potentially each be at risk for FIP? The two 4 year olds we got from Humane Society at 12 weeks old and 9 year old we got from a family member but was never in a shelter. I dont want my decision to kill any of my cats.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'm not sure if grown cats are as likely, as kittens are, to contract corona, but that would be a good question to ask the vet.

Were any of them ever tested - especially the ones from the Humane Society?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I hope testing is the solution both of you decide on - it will help you make a much better decision on how to move forward.

If you do decide to, please let us know the outcome.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Update... after much discussion with the shelter owner and the vet I have decided not to adobt this kitten. He is already in a no kill so I’m sure they can find a home for him where there are no other cats.

It came down to the fact that there could be a chance of my 13 year old Casey catching the corona virus... and even a 5% risk is too much. I would never forgive myself if I brought the kitten in and Casey got extremely sick from it. He’s been my baby for 13 years and I had only spent a very short time with the new kitten

So now I’m back on the kitten trail... I did meet a super affectionate 3month old but I’m debating whether he’s too young. What has been everyone’s experience with introducing an older cat (13) to a young kitten (3 months)???
Please read additional threads on catdawg23's post. Want you to have as much info as possible!

krystab

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Please read additional threads on catdawg23's post. Want you to have as much info as possible!
Thanks. I actually decided to get a different kitten. The one with corona has been adopted into a home with no other cats. The shelter being “no kill” made the decision to not risk Casey much easier. Casey is very difficult to draw blood from - so I decided to not have him tested so he didn’t get stressed. It all worked out :biggrin: