Cookbooks

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
I went to our local library's bookstore sale last week and found five interesting (to me) cookbooks for less than $20.

Last night Rick was reading through the Southern Living magazine and he mentioned that there was a cookbook called. "The South's Best Butts". I looked at him and said, "Well, I'm from North Carolina, so that's the south, and I have a good butt." He looked over the top of his glasses at me, rolled his eyes, sighed and said, "Just go back and buy the thing!"

Well! You don't need to tell me twice! To Amazon I went. I bought The South's Best Butts. And while I was there, I also bought Project Smoke by Steven Raichlen. I've been watching the show on CREATE and I must say that he makes some delicious-looking food. I am a big Raichlen fan and every single recipe I've tried has been delicious. In fact, his Louisville Wings are now my Louisville Wings; they're pretty much the only wings I make now.

Cookbook Addiction....it's really powerful sometimes. I can't help it. Although this time? I'm blaming Dear Richard!

(I will never be rich; I will never be thin. But I will always be well-fed.)

Mother Dragon

Cat slave
Top Cat
Purraise
The secret to having a great cookbook collection is to have a spouse who likes to eat. If you can find one recipe in a cookbook you think they'd like, you know it's yours to buy!

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You and my mother could trade books. Actually I think you've got her beat so maybe just recipes. :lol: DH and I love testing her new recipes. It's been less so since she and my step-dad started eating primarily Vegan. But she still makes other things for us that they don't eat. She just likes cooking and trying new things. At 60 she's going to start Culinary school this fall. I better get back to working out huh? :lol: :thumbsup:

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
I could never get Aaron to look through a cookbook. He complains enough when I show him just a few recipes and ask which one sounds better to him. :lol:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Mother Dragon Mother Dragon Rick certainly loves to eat. He's always more than willing to check out what I'm baking. He has a bad sweet tooth, but he'll always test soups, stews, and other meals. I really don't know how he stays as thin as he is.

MoochNNoodles MoochNNoodles how awesome for your mother! Kudos! I think culinary school would be fascinating. I don't know how people who love to cook manage to stay thin; with me, it's a constant battle. I wish your mom all the best!

AbbysMom AbbysMom Normally Rick does not sit and go through a cookbook. But this particular one has back stories about the BBQ restaurants, which are really interesting. I brought the book home last night and handed it to him. Two hours later, he was still in the chair, reading the book. Not the recipes, but the stories. Although he did find a few recipes he thought we should try.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I could never get Aaron to look through a cookbook. He complains enough when I show him just a few recipes and ask which one sounds better to him. :lol:
Wow your a nice wife. I rarely consult DH because he asks for salmon patties (:barfgreen::barfgreen::barfgreen::barfgreen::barfgreen::barfgreen::barfgreen:) or something gross like that. :lol: He eats most things but it irritates me to no end when I cook and people either don't eat it or they examine it closer than a legal document for ingredient wholesomeness and cooking thoroughness. :angrywoman: :lol: Ok I'm not that irritated; but I still don't ask for input when I'm making our regular menus. I always know what side dishes he wants for holidays so I guess I don't have to too much. :crazy:

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
My family has really been enjoying Whole30 cookbooks lately. My Dad is lactose intolerant so having dairy free recipes that require no tweaking is amazing. Add on that they use minimally processed items and it is really nice. Its interesting how they substitute some things to make up for the sugar absence or grain absence. Honestly, they don't taste much different from other recipes.

MeganLLB

Accidental Ailurophile
Top Cat
Purraise
I mainly find recipes online and get them from my family. Then I write them in this strawberry shortcake cookbook that Ive had since I was a kid.
I think my nana started it with no bake cookies but all it says is "oatmeal"
20170726_173221.jpg 20170726_173247.jpg 20170726_173258.jpg

MeganLLB

Accidental Ailurophile
Top Cat
Purraise
I use that Strawberry Shortcake cookbook or "recipe file" all the time. It has all of my family's favorite recipes in there. I don't know what I would do if I lost that. My favorite dinners, side dishes, holiday favorites, I wrote them all down in there.

My mom has a nice cook book too. After her mom died, her sister in law took all of her recipe cards that she has written on, and put them into a photo album. They made a cookbook out of all of her mom's recipes that were in her own handwriting, and they gave it to her the Christmas after she passed.

Then for mother's day we scanned one of her favorite recipes from there and had it engraved on a wooden cutting board. It was neat because it was still in her mother's handwriting on the cuttingboard. That's hanging in her kitchen now. She's a big cook book collector too.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My mom has a nice cook book too. After her mom died, her sister in law took all of her recipe cards that she has written on, and put them into a photo album. They made a cookbook out of all of her mom's recipes that were in her own handwriting, and they gave it to her the Christmas after she passed.

Then for mother's day we scanned one of her favorite recipes from there and had it engraved on a wooden cutting board. It was neat because it was still in her mother's handwriting on the cuttingboard.
Oh I love those ideas! That cutting board is so special! :hearthrob:I have a few recipes in my Grandmother's handwriting. I feel closer to her when I see those vs the ones I copied myself or typed up.

My Aunt got a spiral bound journal and filled it with family baking recipes as a gift for my bridal shower. She got a laundry basket and filled it with kitchen cooking utensils. But I treasure that journal. It stays on top of my refrigerator after one of my kids scribbled on the back of a page. :wink: