Convenia injection

Paws5

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Our 12 yr old cat received 2 shots for a respiratory issue. The sneezing cleared up but she developed side effects & within 3 weeks will will have to put her down. She slowly stopped eating & became lethargic. A heavier cat, she became skin & bones. Not knowing what to do , we took her to a veterinary hospital
($1800 later!) after every test under the sun we brought her home. Nothing came out of all the tests. We expressed our concern about the shot & found out that a 3rd shot was given to this poor creature! We are now faced with putting her down.

tnl

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Were all three shots Convenia? Could you get a second opinion from a different vet? Even some advice over the phone? Have you tried syringe feeding? Sorry for all the questions.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Ask the vet to consult with a veterinary school to discuss your cat's case. Sometimes a new set of eyes might pinpoint the cause or know of what If they tests can be done. If the vet dismisses you and your concerns, take your cat to another vet hospital for treatment. Be sure to get all copies of the blood work and other tests done for the new vet to review.

• Purraise
Reactions: tnl
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Paws5

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Were all three shots Convenia? Could you get a second opinion from a different vet? Even some advice over the phone? Have you tried syringe feeding? Sorry for all the questions.
No worries. Appreciate the thoughts.
2 shots from our regular vet & one shot this past Friday from another veterinary hospital.
We specifically voiced our concerns about it & we had no idea until we picked her up that they had given her it.
I am trying to syringe feed her.

tnl

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
How is she doing with syringe feeding? When we had to do it with one of ours we used Pet Ag Milk Replacer Plus for Kittens (powder) mixed with Pedialyte.

Paws5

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
How is she doing with syringe feeding? When we had to do it with one of ours we used Pet Ag Milk Replacer Plus for Kittens (powder) mixed with Pedialyte.
Oh thx. Will try that.

Paws5

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Ask the vet to consult with a veterinary school to discuss your cat's case. Sometimes a new set of eyes might pinpoint the cause or know of what If they tests can be done. If the vet dismisses you and your concerns, take your cat to another vet hospital for treatment. Be sure to get all copies of the blood work and other tests done for the new vet to review.
Thank you. We spent $1800 + another $200 .
They did every test under the sun & really came up with nothing (other than a slight urinary track infection). Our vet saw the results & again inconclusive.
She is anemic now & we just aren’t sure what to do at this point. We really can’t spend thousands on further treatments. Just heartbroken.

tnl

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm so sorry you are going through this! I've been down a similar path very recently. It sickens me that they kept giving her injections knowing your concerns and the side effects that come with that particular antibiotic. Have you tried offering her some chicken baby food? Or lickable treats? Canned tuna? Tiki cat food might be another "aromatic" option. Anything to kick start her appetite.

Paws5

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm so sorry you are going through this! I've been down a similar path very recently. It sickens me that they kept giving her injections knowing your concerns and the side effects that come with that particular antibiotic. Have you tried offering her some chicken baby food? Or lickable treats? Canned tuna? Tiki cat food might be another "aromatic" option. Anything to kick start her appetite.
Thank you. Keep trying different things. Haven't tried the baby food. Thanks for the suggestions.

• Purraise
Reactions: tnl

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I am so not a fan of Convenia! I'm so sorry you're going through this with your kitty. Did the vet do an x-ray to check for any abnormalities?

KittyCatCove

Daddy of 4
Adult Cat
Purraise
Very sorry to hear about your cat. I've heard about some cats having bad reactions to Convenia. Why 3 shots in such a short time period? I always make sure there is clear communication between me and the vet before any meds are given.

FWIW, 2 of my cats have had Convenia shots; one for an abscess infection, the other for a respiratory infection. Both ailments were gone within 1 week and they did not have any bad reactions to the shots.

Paws5

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I am so not a fan of Convenia! I'm so sorry you're going through this with your kitty. Did the vet do an x-ray to check for any abnormalities?
The hospital actually did 4 x-rays!
All they said was she had a slight urinary track infection. Treated her for that.
Reading all this now & not before the shot. Feel absolutely horrible. We have her home but I know it is just a matter of time. Will have to make a decision. Breaks my heart.