Convenia: 2nd Injection In 10 Days

Sandy Beach

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We rescued a cat from a bad situation off of social media 10 days ago, knowing before hand that she was in desperate need of medical attention. Upon picking her up we immediately took her to our vet clinic where she was treated with an injection of Convenia for a large abscess on her cheek which exposed part of her gums and teeth. We were also given novalsan solution to clean the wound with. We were then referred to another vet for dental care as my vet said her mouth was severely inflamed (it was). We just saw the new vet today, and he advised another dose of Convenia as he thinks she may not need any dental work, just another dose of antibiotics as her mouth is in much better condition. She had no reactions to the first dose, and so far so good with the 2nd dose (but it’s only been a matter of hours) however, while speaking to a friend about today’s visit, she was saying cats should never have 2 doses of Convenia, especially not 10 days apart. Has anyone else used this antibiotic back to back? Vet is closed now, so I won’t get my piece of mind from them until tomorrow. I’ve never had Convenia used on any of my other cats over the years, so I’m not familiar with this medication. I’ve been reading all kinds of things online, but would like to hear from people who have used Convenia on their own cats. Any knowledge you could enlighten me with would be wonderful! Thanks so much!

molly92

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have not used Convenia with my cats, and I hope I never will. It sounds so far so good with your cat though, so hopefully there are no side effects and everything will be fine. The big problem with Convenia it seems is that it stays in the system for months, so if there are side effects, the side effects don't go away for months, and that can be dangerous.

It's best to discuss whether antibiotics are really necessary first, as antibiotic overuse is a huge problem (I am not a vet but I would think that an abscess is a valid reason to try antibiotics), and then if they are necessary, choose one that can be pilled or compounded into a liquid form that can be swallowed. Convenia is an injectable antibiotic, which makes it easier to administer. But since you never know how your cat is going to react to a medication, it's best to go with another form if at all possible so that if there is an adverse reaction, it will be over in a few days.

Thank you for rescuing the poor cat! It sounds like she's been through something terrible. I'm glad she's starting to feel better!

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Convenia is a long lasting antibiotic. The initial effect lasts up to 2 weeks but the medicine itself stays in the body for up to 2 months and may cause reactions then. It is not recommend for use in cats. See Convenia- long term antibiotic: Is it worth the risk? Some cats have no reaction to Convenia and the medicine works great for them. I personally would not take the risk.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Sandy Beach

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Unfortunately she was already given the injection earlier in the day. Both vets spoke highly of it and honestly, I just trusted their judgment. *sigh* I really hope I didn’t allow more damage to be done to her. I should have looked this up prior to allowing them to administer it, but I honestly didn’t even think of it until my friend said something after the fact. Kicking myself in the butt right now. Will keep you guys posted as to how she does over the next two months…

Sandy Beach

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
And yes, she Definitely needed the antibiotics… This abscess was left to feaster on her face for at least two months with no medical attention before I rescued her, causing severe inflammation in her mouth which made her unwilling to eat due to pain ( which caused a few other issues as well) she was in pretty rough shape when I picked her up… But seems to be doing better now. Inflammation is down thanks to the antibiotics, and she can eat soupy wet food, but nothing with chunks or meaty morsales as the chewing still causes her discomfort. We still have a ways to go. One day at a time.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Convenia is designed to be used ONCE in a cat's lifetime. Most vets use it because it's easier than pilling a cat and less stressful, but the side effects can be deadly. I personally don't like it because I've had 2 different cats of different ages react negatively to it. Thankfully, they recovered, but it's on my never give list at the vet, as is metacam. There are other meds that will work just as effectively.

1CatOverTheLine

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sandy Beach Sandy Beach - The therapeutic concentration of the antimocrobial cefovecin sodium is maintained for approximately 7 days; the instructions to the veterinarian state that it can, in fact, be administered twice:

2 doses of Convenia, - Google Search

Give your veterinarian a hand; this was almost certainly an excellent out-of-the-ordinary call, and almost certainly saved your new kitty considerable trauma and unnecessary dental surgery.

upload_2018-8-17_22-44-15.png

Sandy Beach

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you for the peace of mind!

Sandy Beach Sandy Beach - The therapeutic concentration of the antimocrobial cefovecin sodium is maintained for approximately 7 days; the instructions to the veterinarian state that it can, in fact, be administered twice:

2 doses of Convenia, - Google Search

Give your veterinarian a hand; this was almost certainly an excellent out-of-the-ordinary call, and almost certainly saved your new kitty considerable trauma and unnecessary dental surgery.

View attachment 248197
You

furmonster mom

Lap #2
Top Cat
Purraise
While I personally prefer pills to any injections (I'm looking at you, Rimadyl), I can understand why your vets went with them. With a facial and mouth injury as you describe, pilling could be extremely difficult.
We could "should, could, would, if only" all day long, but the fact is "done is done". Keep an eye out for reactions, even for a couple months. Ya never know.
Hopefully, she will continue to improve; bless you for taking on a special case. :heartshape: