Contipation and old hip fracture...

Pampirissi

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
When we first found our cat Tiny on the street in a bad condition, we directly went to vet and than he had an operation by removing feces from his intestines because he had a megacolon. Then we started using royal canin gastrointestinal formula. 3 months after the operation, she became constipated again and an enema was performed, then it was noticed that there was a part of her hip that used to be fused, which narrows the intestinal tract.:( They said that this hip fracture is very old.
So, Royalcanin food did not solve the constipation problem, so we switched to hills i/d food. 3 weeks was normal, but they recommended me to give 2 herbal tablets every day. After 3 weeks, we had a problem again and solved the situation again with a constipation medicine containing vaseline. I'm not in favor of surgery. I have read many articles on the subject. It's a very risky do to old fracture. In addition, there is no problem in running, walking, jumping, and as long as attention is paid, he can poop every day without any pain. My goal is just to keep the stool soft all the time. Do you have any food suggestions? Someone else suggested hills w/d. I don't know which one works better for constipation.
1666076027443.png

Topluluk Tarafından Doğrulandı simgesi

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Talk to your vet about using Miralax. I've used this several times with my cats (one had a very similar old hip fracture like your cat) and it kept them regular without any bad side effects. That X-ray is crazy! I'm so glad it causes him no pain.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Yes, that x-ray is insane!! Most folks start with 1/4 tsp of Miralax daily and raise to twice a day if needed. Hopefully, you will only need once a dose just to keep his stool soft. Mix it with a little bit of water before adding it to Tiny's food. If he only eats dry food, you can mix the Miralax with a lickable treat. There are many different brands on the market, so there is a good chance he will like at least one of them.

happilyretired

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have a cat with constipation 'issues,' and Miralax works best for keeping her regular and stools soft. I use 1/4 teaspoon with her wet food.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Pampirissi

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you all :) We have changed her food to w/d, I will share the results and search miralax but I am not sure that they know it. Because we changed our vet 5-6 times. Non of them told me something about Miralax. Iguess, I will follow your suggentions.
Talk to your vet about using Miralax. I've used this several times with my cats (one had a very similar old hip fracture like your cat) and it kept them regular without any bad side effects. That X-ray is crazy! I'm so glad it causes him no pain.
You were using which food? And did you feed your cat with wet or dry food all the time?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
The primary ingredient in the brand name Miralax is polyethylene glycol 3350. So, that might be how you need to ask your vet about it, if it is not known as Miralax in your area.

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Thank you all :) We have changed her food to w/d, I will share the results and search miralax but I am not sure that they know it. Because we changed our vet 5-6 times. Non of them told me something about Miralax. Iguess, I will follow your suggentions.

You were using which food? And did you feed your cat with wet or dry food all the time?
I was using Fancy Feast classics (pate, but sometimes gravies if he wasn't eating well.) He seemed to do OK if I left a small portion of Tiki Cat chicken dry out, but it wasn't his main food. I mostly did this because he was underweight and I wanted him to have access to food whenever he wanted it. :)