Continued Concern over Convenia for cats

Lynn Dragieff

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I rescued a senior cat in April 2022. He was a large unneutered male, who found our home as the best place for food. It took several months to win his trust, but eventually he learned he was safe. Three weeks after I started to feed him, he appeared one day with a huge abscess on his head, which was infected and required sutures. The vet cleaned out the wound and gave convenia injection. In addition, the Vet neutered and vaccinated this cat with Rabies and FVRCP.
Too many things given to a sick cat with an infection. Three weeks after the convenia injection, this cat began losing hair. And I mean a lot of hair. l Handfuls for weeks. His appetite waned, and he started to lose weight. I took him back to the same vet, who ran blood work. He was anemic, had an infection, and kidney disease. This cat was never the same after that first visit to the vet for would injury. Could it have been convenia that caused loss of hair and anemia? We will never know. Sadly, this cat went downhill quickly the end of September. Follow up bloodwork showed the anemia had worsened, as well as his kidneys. This was after aggressive treatment with daily subQ fluids, vitamin supplements, KD food and constant care, thinking I could save him and give him quality of life. The second round of blood word 2.5 weeks after the first time revealed a huge decline in his health, and it was recommended to euthanize since we could do nothing more.
I cannot help but feel the convenia on top of everything else, quickened his kidney and anemia issue, or perhaps created it. I do not think this drug is worth the life of a pet, and feel it is better to forbid your Vet to use it. This cat was in our home only 5 months, but he took a huge piece of my heart when he died.

This is not the first time I lost a cat after they received a convenia injection. The other two times, it was always two months after it was given. Same outcome of losing weight, lethargic and no appetite. This drug should never have been approved for use. The effects are questionable at best.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Sorry for your loss :grouphug:

Convenia is known to have long lasting adverse reactions long after the 2 week antibiotic effect. There's info here: Convenia- long term antibiotic: Is it worth the risk? If you feel the drug caused your cat's death, you can file an adverse reaction report with Zoetis, the manufacturer of Convenia, and with the FDA as well.

Any pet owner can make it clear in the pet's medical record that X drug is not to be used in any circumstance. I know people who have put "No Metacam" in their cat's records because of the known side effects and adverse reactions that drug may cause. Pet owners can also insist on knowing what drugs and treatments the vet plans to use before they are administered and they should tell the vet no if they don't want a particular drug to be given.

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I am very sorry. Did the vet do, or mention doing blood work before he was neutered?
He was only with you 5 months, but no doubt those were the best 5 months of his little life, by being fed, cared for, and loved. :hugs: