Continue Buprenorphine with no visible results?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Feeby, 19+ yo, with multiple conditions (hyperthyroidism, CKD, high BP, intestinal lymph node cancer, and arthritis) has been getting Buprenex for a while now. This was done because she no longer tolerates any arthritic meds/supplements, and no one knows if her other conditions are causing any pain. She is currently being treated for all but the cancer - and the arthritis.

So far, I only give her one dose of the two daily doses she can get because I see no visible changes in her to suggest there is an actual benefit. She gets the 'standard' dosage given for a cat of her size. She is limited in her activity and has been for a while now, but the Bupe does not seem to have any impact on that. She will not take gabapentin and that is why we resorted to Bupe. She eats, pees, and poops normally for her.

Should I just continue to give it to her on the assumption it is doing something for her even if I can't see any positive results? Cost wise, I don't care, and administration is easy, but sometimes I just wonder if there is a point to it.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Should I just continue to give it to her on the assumption it is doing something for her even if I can't see any positive results?
Would it be possible for you to stop it for a week as a trial and error period? The only reason I suggested that is because if you see a difference then you would know the Buprenex was actually helping. It's just a thought and completely up to you. Hugs to Feeby. :lovecat2:

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Would it be possible for you to stop it for a week as a trial and error period? The only reason I suggested that is because if you see a difference then you would know the Buprenex was actually helping. It's just a thought and completely up to you. Hugs to Feeby. :lovecat2:
Yes, either stopping or or maybe try tapering? (I'm a taperer but it can be slow!)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Yeah, I guess that is pretty much the most logical approach. Just scared to see what happens, if anything. Sometimes, I just think 'why rock the boat', and that stops me from doing it. Status quo - whatever that may be - is sometimes appreciated.
Yes, either stopping or or maybe try tapering? (I'm a taperer but it can be slow!)
There probably is no real way to taper - the dosage is 0.1ml as it is. I mean, I could do one every other day vs. one every day. But, as far as I know, this isn't a drug that needs slow decreases before just stopping it, even if it is an opioid-derivative.

I'll think about it - as I have been doing anyway. If nothing major comes up with a surgery my husband is due to have mid-January, Feeby's vet suggested bringing her in for a geriatric exam around the same time since she hasn't been physically looked at since August and really should have blood work done. Maybe I won't fool with it and wait until then to discuss this with the vet. :headscratch:

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah, I guess that is pretty much the most logical approach. Just scared to see what happens, if anything. Sometimes, I just think 'why rock the boat', and that stops me from doing it. Status quo - whatever that may be - is sometimes appreciated.

There probably is no real way to taper - the dosage is 0.1ml as it is. I mean, I could do one every other day vs. one every day. But, as far as I know, this isn't a drug that needs slow decreases before just stopping it, even if it is an opioid-derivative.

I'll think about it - as I have been doing anyway. If nothing major comes up with a surgery my husband is due to have mid-January, Feeby's vet suggested bringing her in for a geriatric exam around the same time since she hasn't been physically looked at since August and really should have blood work done. Maybe I won't fool with it and wait until then to discuss this with the vet. :headscratch:
If she's likely to have an exam soon, yes, I'd take the "why rock the boat" approach until then.

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
The Buprenorphine is an opiate. You would want a slow taper down. If using once a day decrease to every other day. Or better yet ask the vet.
Honestly, if it was me, I would continue with it because it may be helping and you don’t know.
They can also build up a tolerance so maybe you need to increase, but would have to check with the vet.

In my experience with senior cats is keeping things the same is sometimes best provided they are doing okay.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Honestly, if it was me, I would continue with it because it may be helping and you don’t know. They can also build up a tolerance so maybe you need to increase, but would have to check with the vet.
I am just going to continue with it, as I tend to think at her age, the chances of it doing something outweigh its use in general. I will ask the vet about a tolerance issue, since she has been on it just short of 6 months. The thing is that it never has appeared to do any good from the beginning, so there is no way to know if it is doing 'less good' now than when she started taking it.