Construction At 2 Of My Colonies

kmbishop111

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I've recently noticed construction equipment being brought in at one of my colonies. It was a bowling alley that had substantial fire damage last summer. It has since been vacant.

An adjoining property is home to another of my colonies, which happens to be behind a local high/middle school campus. Well a friend informed me today that the school had bought the property that the bowling alley is on. So now they own both properties of 2 of my colonies and according to the news article my friend passed along "the school will soon expand after purchasing the bowling alley to be used as their physical plant.

According to Superintendent the building will soon entail maintenance and operations, building and grounds, and food services departments. The district's school buses will be parked at the building as well."

The physical plant is where my current school colony stays. This means a lot of construction and disturbance for both colonies unfortunately.

I have not spoken with the Superintendant as of yet regarding the ferals. Animal Control, the SRO at the school, some teachers and other staff know that I take care of the ferals there but not the higher ups. I'm going to make an appt to speak with the Superintendant regarding the 2 colonies. I'm not certain if I will have to go before the school board or not.

Any suggestions on points to bring up or just advice in general? (The vacuum effect will def be brought up and I have some pamplets w great info from Alley Cat Allies) I certainly want to get the ferals out of harms way and be as prepared as possible.
:thanks: - Kris

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
How many cats do you have there in all?

Are you hoping that the school will let them stay or are you planning to relocate them? Do you have another site they could go to?

Cat's get used to the noise of construction pretty quickly. At my last address the colony I care for put up with two old houses being torn down and a new apartment building going up one summer and it didn't faze them at all. They used to hide when it got too noisy at first, but after a while they would move off a safe distance and watch the work going on.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kmbishop111

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
All together their are 20 cats between the 2 colonies. The cats staying would be the best possible outcome as I don't have a place to relocate.

Thank ya, that is good to know!! I've been thinking of spots to start moving their feeding areas and shelters to a gradually to get them away from being at the center of all the action. :)

trudy1

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Are they s/n and vaccinated? If so you might want to approach the kids if you have an in with any. Maybe to help Care and feed but mostly as a supportive base as this goes forward.

Food trumps construction and noise in the colonies I’ve worked with. Wow, twenty saved from hunger and euthanasia...great work!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kmbishop111

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Fabulous idea!! My son attends the high school. Most are TNR"d, I have 5 to catch this month and get in at the clinic to be s/n'd and Rabies.