Constipation + Sneezing fits! Possibly little brown worms in stool. I'm so confused.

SunflowerRumba

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Way back In Jan-March my cat (1.5 year old male - indoor but eats every bug he comes into contact with) had tapeworms which caused him to slowly get super sick over some time of me trying to figure out what was wrong until a vet finally realized what was going on when he saw those little rice-like segments around his anus. Well, it started out with sneezing fits that slowly increased and got worse and worse. Eventually he had blood in his stool, stopped eating, was vomiting and lethargic etc. etc. The vet gave him two rounds of tapeworm dewormer and within hours he was SO much better.

Fast-forward to two days ago I started noticing him having those same frequent sneezing fits. So I have just been keeping a really close eye on him and trying not to panic, hoping it's just allergies or a cold. As of today he is still eating, super energetic and playful. However, he's still having the sneezing fits every half hour and watery eyes. Today I noticed he made like 6 trips to the catbox in 15 minutes that resulted in no peeing or pooping. Since I'm paranoid I checked around his anus and I saw what possibly look like little fibrous black worms/parasites? Not round, not white. Maybe 1/3rd a centimeter long little brown fiber/worm looking things. A hand-full of them.

It's also entirely possible I could just be losing my mind and it's just like try poop or something, but I don't think it is.
I gave him one de-wormer pill earlier today that I had on-hand left over from the first fiasco just in case, but it's just a tapeworm dewormer, and this doesn't seem like tapeworms.

Does anyone know what it parasite or worm the description I gave might be if that's what it is? So I can go and buy a dewormer specific to it and avoid a $200 vet visit? Obviously I would literally empty my entire savings account for my cat if I needed to, but I'm just trying to avoid any extra-spending right now.

Also, sneezing and constipation are things that happen from time to time, it's possible it's just a coincidence and it'll pass. When do I need to be worried if this persists? If he stops eating/drinking/becomes lethargic/hasn't had a bowel movement in several days?

Thanks you guys!

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
He could have several different problems, but all problems mentioned may easily be caused by worms. If he hadnt been properly dewormed with an all round dewormer, the probability is high he has worms. Especielly as you saw some...
Could you dare to phone your vet and describe and or send a photo? Some vets accepts telephone advices, especielly to earlier customers.
And especielly now in Covid times...

Otherwise, look see what OTC allround dewormers there are in your local pharmacia / big pet shop. Write up the names, google or ask us here...
Because some brands arent good.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Even indoor-only cats can get worms. The eggs will stick to shoes and come in the house quite easily. I echo and utterly agree with StefanZ StefanZ 's advice.