Constipation in cat with CKD and IIE

Paulaei

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello! I'm new here, and I don't speak English very well, but I'll try. :heartthrob

I have a cat of ten years, with CKD for almost five years in stage II (and progressing) and episodes of chronic pancreatitis and sometimes IIE. In addition, Felix was hit by a car when he was 1 year old and fractured his pelvis. All these diseases led to constipation problems that have been increasing over the years. He has been taking 1.5 every 8 hours of lactulose for a year and has been eating Hills ID dry food. Two months ago it was no longer enough and I no longer managed to defecate regularly. They increased 2ml lactulose every 8 hours and still two to three days go by where if it doesn't, I should give Miralax 1tsbp every 8 hours (in Chile it is Lax 335, and if 1tbsp flush and not a tsp as I read in this forum that several cat owners do) I have to give him only until he defecates, he has diarrhea emptying himself completely and after that the cycle of eating and being well for a couple of days returns and he is constipated again. I tried giving him wet food EN proplan + his dry food but it worked for me for a couple of days helping him to defecate daily but then he no longer wanted canned food and only dry food. In addition, eating another food caused intestinal problems, returning to constipation. I don't know what to do anymore, does lactulose lose its effect over time in your cats? Will I be able to give Miralax + lactulose or is it too much for a cat? Have you guys given him that amount of Miralax to help him? That amount was given to me by the Vet and it has helped me avoid enemas so far, but I think that's a lot.

In my country there are a lot of foods and remedies that are not sold and I want my cat to be well. He is on several medications, pregabalin for pain in his pelvis and joints 1/8 50mg pill every 12 hours, Traumeel half a pill every 12 hours, lactulose 2ml every 8, now cerenia (maropitant) to reduce possible inflammation of the pancreas x 10 days and prulocapride 1/4 of a 20mg tablet every 24 hours to improve intestinal motility and was added to his medications about two weeks ago.

I have read that it could incorporate fiber but there are also cases that there is a lot of fiber and that is why they do not defecate, I don't know if it is good to try that too. Or if they have any techniques to get their cats interested in wet food more than dry.

I hope you can read me and share your experiences and opinions. (He has gone and continues to go to the vet but I am losing hope until I found this beautiful forum)

Vitomysweeto

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
There are groups on Facebook Feline Megacolon support and Feline chronic kidney disease. They are a wealth of information. Lots of people to help there.
Try to give him canned pumpkin. And see if you can give subcutaneous IV fluid at home.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Paulaei

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Can you give him subcutaneous IV fluids?
The vet said he would teach me but he still hasn't. last night they came to administer analgesia and cyanocobalamine. Now I'm waiting to see some of Felix's poop, since yesterday I've been giving him Miralax, lactulose and he has fixed prucalopride for motility. Yesterday the vet also felt his feces and they are soft, except that he either does not have the motility, or it hurts, or he does not have the strength to evacuate them. I also had to give him a food that is not good for his kidneys nor is it the best brand or high digestible but it is very palatable, risking that it could hurt him, because he has not wanted to eat much. :sniffle:

Vitomysweeto

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
They have videos on YouTube on how to do home subcutaneous IV on your cat. It can seem scary but you’ll get use to it. My vet never showed me. I just watched the videos that other vets have created.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I have had three kidney cats, but none of them had the other issues your cat has. Our Vet said to give Miralax twice per day, EVERY DAY, but not to give more than 1/4 teaspoon (dissolved in water) per dose. I can see why when you give 1 full teaspoon your cat has diarrhea, but guess that's better than having to get an enema. Yes, lactulose loses it's effect over time, as do a lot of medications. One of his meds, the pregabalin, can actually cause constipation, so that adds in another issue.

You are correct in your thoughts that fiber might be good, but it might be bad with his pelvic issues. Your Vet is the best person to answer that question. The prulocapride is supposed to cause a bowel movement within an hour in a HEALTHY cat, but I can't find anything about what happens in a cat not is not considered healthy. There are other motility drugs available, I'm just not sure what is available in your country.

Just as an aside, have you seen this website? Tanya's Comprehensive Guide to Feline Chronic Kidney Disease - Everything You Need to Know to Help Your Cat It's everything you could ever need to know about feline kidney disease. It's not interactive, but has so much information in it. You might want to save it as a favorite to turn to for informational purposes. It even has charts for foods for kidney cats, and does have info on related issues, like constipation.

Paulaei

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have had three kidney cats, but none of them had the other issues your cat has. Our Vet said to give Miralax twice per day, EVERY DAY, but not to give more than 1/4 teaspoon (dissolved in water) per dose. I can see why when you give 1 full teaspoon your cat has diarrhea, but guess that's better than having to get an enema. Yes, lactulose loses it's effect over time, as do a lot of medications. One of his meds, the pregabalin, can actually cause constipation, so that adds in another issue.

You are correct in your thoughts that fiber might be good, but it might be bad with his pelvic issues. Your Vet is the best person to answer that question. The prulocapride is supposed to cause a bowel movement within an hour in a HEALTHY cat, but I can't find anything about what happens in a cat not is not considered healthy. There are other motility drugs available, I'm just not sure what is available in your country.

Just as an aside, have you seen this website? Tanya's Comprehensive Guide to Feline Chronic Kidney Disease - Everything You Need to Know to Help Your Cat It's everything you could ever need to know about feline kidney disease. It's not interactive, but has so much information in it. You might want to save it as a favorite to turn to for informational purposes. It even has charts for foods for kidney cats, and does have info on related issues, like constipation.
Thank you very much for your answer and the information on the web! It was the first thing I found when I found out my cat had CKD. ¿What food do you feed your cats? ¿do they poop every day and with what consistency? Felix really has to make it soft like a long tube without segments because he can't push anymore or if he does he feels bad and then he stops trying. the bad thing is that his kidney disease causes him to absorb a lot of water in the intestine and dries them out more as you know.

We just got back from the vet and they had to give him an enema with lactulose because it was already his fourth day without defecating. I also think that his current food does not help, the renal food had to stop a year ago because he presented symptoms of food allergy that stopped changing to hills id, it must be an almost perfect food and the most important thing that he Felix likes it, I'll search the web for one that could give him to take care of his kidneys. Royal canin gastrointestinal fibre response is not avalaible in my country Chile.

I will ask the vet if it is possible to give miralax at low doses as it appears in the forum. Yesterday they told me that the fiber thing hadn't yet so as not to stress him out more? The truth is that my challenge now is to find him a moist food that he wants to eat constantly and that does not cause him stomach or intestinal discomfort. now he only receives a can called "felix" from purina fish & tuna, which I know is not good but at least he eats when he dislikes his dry food.
I feel guilty and worried giving him that food, I have offered him a lot of cans (EN, ID hills, Grastrointestinal, etc) and he eats them once and doesn't want any more.:sniffle:

mrsgreenjeens

Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
All of my kidney cats have now been gone for several years now, but giving them the Miralax (or equivalent) twice daily did keep them regular, so much so that sometimes one of them would actually pass a little bit of stool sometimes without even knowing it. When that happened I would cut back in it just a touch...still have it twice daily, but cut back ever so slightly on the amount. Then if I noticed a change in the litter box I would go back to the full 1/4 teaspoon again.

As far as foods, our Vet told us to let them eat whatever they wanted, that it was better to have them eat than not. So that's what we did. Two of them didn't like wet food because they had not been raised on it. The last one had been switched over to wet food (then finally converted over to a raw diet) before she got kidney disease. I found what worked best for her was to feed her several smaller meals per day (and night). She got maybe 1 tablespoon of food mixed with filtered water 8 or 9 times in a 24 hour period. This included twice in the middle of the night. (I kept her food on my nightstand on an icepak so I didn't have to get out of bed to feed her) By the end she didn't like her raw food anymore, so she was back to canned food, and often she ate fishy foods. She was also on an appetite stimulant to help with her appetite. She was like your guy and would seem to love a food one day, then refuse it the next. We had so many different foods around, but luckily my others cats would eat what she didn't. And after a few days I could feed her a previous food and she would eat it again. Plus I used toppers like freeze dried chicken or salmon to sprinkle on top.

Paulaei

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
All of my kidney cats have now been gone for several years now, but giving them the Miralax (or equivalent) twice daily did keep them regular, so much so that sometimes one of them would actually pass a little bit of stool sometimes without even knowing it. When that happened I would cut back in it just a touch...still have it twice daily, but cut back ever so slightly on the amount. Then if I noticed a change in the litter box I would go back to the full 1/4 teaspoon again.

As far as foods, our Vet told us to let them eat whatever they wanted, that it was better to have them eat than not. So that's what we did. Two of them didn't like wet food because they had not been raised on it. The last one had been switched over to wet food (then finally converted over to a raw diet) before she got kidney disease. I found what worked best for her was to feed her several smaller meals per day (and night). She got maybe 1 tablespoon of food mixed with filtered water 8 or 9 times in a 24 hour period. This included twice in the middle of the night. (I kept her food on my nightstand on an icepak so I didn't have to get out of bed to feed her) By the end she didn't like her raw food anymore, so she was back to canned food, and often she ate fishy foods. She was also on an appetite stimulant to help with her appetite. She was like your guy and would seem to love a food one day, then refuse it the next. We had so many different foods around, but luckily my others cats would eat what she didn't. And after a few days I could feed her a previous food and she would eat it again. Plus I used toppers like freeze dried chicken or salmon to sprinkle on top.
hello! I can finally answer you. Thank you very much for sharing your experience with me. :redheartpump:Felix is now focused on a treatment for pain, since they think that he does not defecate because his old pelvic fracture hurts (pregabalin 1/8 and 1/4 every 12) and he has a portion of his colon expanded (3,6cm). He is also taking medications to induce intestinal motility that is reduced (prucalopride 2mg every 24hrs) in addition to lactulose 2ml every 12hrs. and has been stable. My only current dilemma is that it's okay because I give him half a portion of wet food (mornings and nights) and half of dry food that he always prefers, and the wet one allows him to have soft stools, not the dry one 😔. Also for the pain he is taking tramadol syrup, a week ago and he hates it. He usually saliva and then it goes away but yesterday I gave it to him and he already knows more or less the time and I notice that he gets more tense because he knows that I am going to take it to give it to him, and he vomited medicine and food. This frustrates me a lot and worries me, because it's hard for me to feed it and I don't want it to break down due to vomiting the remedy. Do you have any advice for administering syrups, especially this one that is bitter? 😞 tramadol is better with or without food in his stomach

mrsgreenjeens

Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
If you can find a compounding pharmacy, they can make the tramadol in different forms. It can be done as an injection (very easy, done right into their scruff), or even as a transdermal gel, rubbing it into their ear. Talk to your Vet about it. If they write you a prescription you should be able to use an on-line compounding pharmacy if you don't have one locally.