Constipation + Enema !!please Advise!!

McKenn

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My boy is 16 and was diagnosed with Megacolon about 4 years ago. His constipation was chronic but with changes to his diet (Wellness & Honest Kitchen for the win) we have been able to completely come off the daily dose of Lactulose and only use it occasionally - it’s been this way for 2 years now, until tonight.

He is constipated for the first time in a LONG time. His anus isn’t dialated yet but I can feel the blockage right at the opening. He is straining and attempting to go but nothing is passing, he has vomited twice. Poor guy even peed on me (and my mattress) in a cry for help.

Que sob story: I was laid off 2 weeks ago, I am surviving on unemployment, I called every vet and emergency clinic within 50 miles and no one will help me with a payment plan, I don’t qualify for CareCredit.

I need to get the blockage out of him ASAP so that I can get him hydrated and on his Lactulose.

I have research Feline PetEma but it’s only available online as far as I can see and we need immediate relief. I am waiting until local pet supply stores open to call and ask if they have it in stock. If they don’t, what can I do for him?!?!

My housemates are nurses (albeit for humans) so they can assist in administering, I just need to know what to do. PLEASE ADVISE!

molly92

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh dear, I'm so sorry. I do not know where to get an enema kit or how to administer it. I have heard that it's possible to do at home, but I wouldn't know where to start.

An enema would be ideal and effective. Otherwise my suggestions are not what I'd normally recommend, but if you have no choice, I'm thinking Slippery Elm bark or dairy.

You can't get the stool that is already formed to be softer and easier to pass. The slippery elm bark coats the digestive tract and makes everything more "slippery", and it has fiber in it to push things through.

This page has info and instructions for it towards the end: Slippery Elm | Little Big Cat

I would be really cautious about adding too much fiber though. Fiber will add bulk to the stool, and if the remedy is not successful and everything stays stuck, then the situation is now even worse. So if you try slippery elm bark, start with a little and see if anything happens after a couple hours. I tried it once with my cat and it move through very quickly. She was very distraught by the sensation though so I never tried it again.

You can also try giving him some regular cow milk. Cats are lactose intolerant and milk should cause diarrhea, which would be messy but could get the job done.

Keep him hydrated throughout all of this, that will be so important no matter what you do.

When the immediate issue is resolved, Miralax is a good alternative to Lactulose. It's pretty much the same, but you can pick up Miralax at any drug store and it might be cheaper than going through a vet. Start with 1/8 teaspoon once or twice a day and increase dosage if needed.

Probiotics have been amazing for keeping my cat constipation-free. I do half a capsule of these with every meal and she's all good!

I hope everything works out!

kittyluv387

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That big lump needs to be manually removed...can you take on some debt for that? If i were you i would skip the lactulose and get some miralax instead. It's cheaper that way. I have a constipated boy and he gets miralax twice a day. He also had poo stuck in his anus and the emergency vet had to take it out manually and then administer the enema.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

McKenn

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We are doing much, much better!!

I was able to manually get out what was stuck (he was straining and I was massaging his belly/colon as he pushed) so I had no need to administer the enema but did find a store that had the Feline PetEma (specific brand for cats) in stock and now have one on hand for emergencies.

Once I got the blockage out he was feeling very frisky, hungry and thirsty. I gave him a small meal that was watered down quite a bit and a half dose of his usual Lactulose as I did not want to overload an already tender system. I then hand fed him a syringe of water - our goal today is hydrate, hydrate, hydrate!

Luckily I have a big bottle of Lactulose from the vet to have on hand so we are never without. Miralax has never worked well for us and we can usually manage his consripation episodes and keep them at bay with his food (can’t say enough about Honest Kitchen and Wellness) plus Lactulose as needed. I am hoping this or not a sign that his MegaColon is progressing.

I also learned that some vets will do an enema with warm water and a bit of Lactulose so I have that trick up my sleeve for next time.

Thank you for all your feedback, Gizmo and I appreciate this community!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

McKenn

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Welp, here we are on night #2 (no pun intended) and still having issues.

He was able to have a bowel movement last night and ate and drank normally all day today but didn’t have a BM until just now and it seems as if he’s not done and is having issues totally emptying.

I kept his meals small today (so there would be less to pass) and they had his Lactulose (Miralax didn’t work for us) with extra water mixed in to make sure he’s getting more than enough fluids. I’ve also hand fed him a few syringes of water (5ml/1 teaspoon) and he is urinating regularly.

I just hand fed an additional dose of Lactulose because after he had a small movement I could still feel that he had a full belly and something near/already in his rectum. He isn’t straining yet but he is pacing near his box and sitting uncomfortably.

I am hoping that the fact he’s had two small movements means the medicine is working and it’s just got to work it’s way through.

Going to be another long night!

I so wish I could him to a vet but NONE of them do payment plans ans I don’t qualify for CareCredit. I’ve been employed continuously for 10+ years and was recently laid off. I have zero funds available at the moment and zero access to a loan situation. I’m really hoping these symptoms pass for him soon.