Constipated kitty cat

Formykitty

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Looking for answers on what to give my cat for constipation? Also, if she jumps out of her kitty box & runs around like cray, is it because she is, constipated that she does this?

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If her feces is hard, small, and like rabbit pellets, she is constipated. Is her urine output OK? She is running around because she is hurting and it scares her. Feel her abdomen, is it distended and hard? Call your vet and OK it, mine recommended giving human Miralax, 1/4 tsp. twice a day, which can be mixed in tuna juice or beaten egg yolk. It sure helped my cat! I only had to give it once. If it doesn't work and she has not gone for several days she will need an enema. When she is cleaned out, encourage water, I leave several small bowls sitting around for them to check out.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Yes, trying to move her bowels is uncomfortable, and she associates the pain with the box. She's trying to get away from it.

You can give Miralax to your cat. The article below gives specific dosages and cautions. Read it thoroughly.
Miralax for Cats (vetinfo.com)

Also, 1/2 teaspoon of olive oil via syringe or medicine dropper can do the trick, as well.

But if this keeps up, you really need to call your vet. There can be so many causes for this, and it sounds like she is in considerable discomfort. And if Miralax doesn't move things within 12 hours, VET. SOONEST. There may be a blockage that he needs to relieve manually, or even a torsion (twisted bowel). That would be unusual, but it can happen.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Formykitty

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
If her feces is hard, small, and like rabbit pellets, she is constipated. Is her urine output OK? She is running around because she is hurting and it scares her. Feel her abdomen, is it distended and hard? Call your vet and OK it, mine recommended giving human Miralax, 1/4 tsp. twice a day, which can be mixed in tuna juice or beaten egg yolk. It sure helped my cat! I only had to give it once. If it doesn't work and she has not gone for several days she will need an enema. When she is cleaned out, encourage water, I leave several small bowls sitting around for them to check out.
Yes, she pees just fine. She also drinks lots bof water. But t she is a very picky eater. She will only eat her dry food & once in a while I can get her to eat some wet food with gravey. She will eat Temptation kitty treats which she has some every day. I've never had a cat that was fussy about food. So I'm sure its because she refuses to eat wet food. I even tried to give her milk to help losen her bowels but she will not drink milk either. She moves hey bowels but its very hard and I can imagine it is painful that's why I need to help her. TY
Looking for answers on what to give my cat for constipation? Also, if she jumps out of her kitty box & runs around like cray, is it because she is, constipated that she does this?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Formykitty

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yes, she pees just fine. She also drinks lots bof water. But t she is a very picky eater. She will only eat her dry food & once in a while I can get her to eat some wet food with gravey. She will eat Temptation kitty treats which she has some every day. I've never had a cat that was fussy about food. So I'm sure its because she refuses to eat wet food. I even tried to give her milk to help losen her bowels but she will not drink milk either. She moves hey bowels but its very hard and I can imagine it is painful that's why I need to help her. TY
Thank you for all you ur info & for responding quickly. I will try the miralax with her. I sure it will work! I only hope!

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Let us know how she's doing. Sometimes people post about a problem, and we never hear from them again. We fret.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Personally, I would let my vet do the enema if it goes that far, and it might not if you follow the suggestions. If you would be a do it yourselfer with an enema, I was told once by my vet never to use the Fleet phosphate enemas on a cat. I am not much posted in enemas regardless, so I don't know if they make a lot of different formulations or not. Supposedly a high amount of phosphate can even kill a cat.