Constipated after starting egg yolk for hairballs?

Cupcakecrazy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone!

I'm new here and I hope everyone can help me with my sweet girl. She's 17 years old and has had a whirlwind 4 months. In May she was at the vet for an infection in her mouth that led to us trying to change her from kibble to wet food which she doesn't really like.

She now has access to both wet food and kibble and eats both daily. After 2 months of wet food she had an allergic reaction to it. She's now on Hills Science Diet Digestive care and we're taking it slow to see how it goes for her.

Then she started having chronic hairballs, either throwing them up daily or gagging for days until one comes up. A few times I had to give her 1/4 tsp petroleum jelly to aid her, but I'm not a fan of it so was looking for something more natural.

About a month ago I started giving her 1 tsp of powdered egg yolk every other day, and according to the package that's about 1 yolk a week. The powdered egg yolk seems to have helped, she's gagging and throwing up fewer hairballs lately.

The problem now is she has been constipated twice since starting her egg yolk. It's taken her about 60 hours to pass both of her constipated stools and this time it had a large hairball in it.

I'm wondering if the yolk is helping her to pass the hair from her stomach, but now it's getting trapped in her colon? If that is the case what is my next step? I read that many people give their kitties one to two yolks a week, would increasing her egg yolk to two a week help break up the hair further and help her to pass the hair through her colon easier?

Thank you to everyone for your help!

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Constipation is usually a result of poor hydration. Is she drinking enough water? I understand she prefers kibble, but kibble has no moisture.
Considering her other issues, I would ask your vet about the best way to keep her constantly hydrated.

annabee

Full-time Cat Mom
Young Cat
Purraise
I have a few thoughts!

Could the powdered egg yolk be the issue? I have an ongoing note in my phone that I fine tune as time goes on (all things feline nutrition), and the bit I have "For Hairballs" says:

• Raw egg yolk. Whip up an egg yolk and add 1/4 teaspoon to each meal.
It may be worth a shot trying raw egg. Everything I'm finding online doesn't seem to suggest there's a huge difference between raw egg yolk and powdered egg yolk, both causing constipation based on the individual. But I can't help but think that may be a reason!

On the other hand, maybe the 1 tsp at once is too much at a time ("shocking" the system), so doing smaller amounts more often may be best! (You know the too much of a good thing can be a bad thing trope.) Perhaps 1/4 tsp per day or per meal would be better for your cat.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Cupcakecrazy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Constipation is usually a result of poor hydration. Is she drinking enough water? I understand she prefers kibble, but kibble has no moisture.
Considering her other issues, I would ask your vet about the best way to keep her constantly hydrated.
Thank you for the help! She drinks throughout the day, not as much as she used to though. I've talked to my vet about her issues in the past and her suggestion was to give her the best supportive care possible.

I'd love suggestions for keeping her hydrated if anyone has any! I've tried bone broth for cats but she's not interested in that. She eats about a can on digestive care a day with some added water and as much kibble as she feels like.

Cupcakecrazy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have a few thoughts!

Could the powdered egg yolk be the issue? I have an ongoing note in my phone that I fine tune as time goes on (all things feline nutrition), and the bit I have "For Hairballs" says:

• Raw egg yolk. Whip up an egg yolk and add 1/4 teaspoon to each meal.
It may be worth a shot trying raw egg. Everything I'm finding online doesn't seem to suggest there's a huge difference between raw egg yolk and powdered egg yolk, both causing constipation based on the individual. But I can't help but think that may be a reason!

On the other hand, maybe the 1 tsp at once is too much at a time ("shocking" the system), so doing smaller amounts more often may be best! (You know the too much of a good thing can be a bad thing trope.) Perhaps 1/4 tsp per day or per meal would be better for your cat.
Thank you for the help! I'm awful afraid of giving raw egg yolk to a 17 year old cat who's already not in the best health. I tried finding information online about yolk causing constipation in cats but only found information about it acting as a laxative. Can egg yolk cause constipation in some cats?

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have one cat who prefers kibble, but she drinks a lot of water. However, she loves it when I pour fresh water. She comes running from wherever she is to drink as I pour it.
You might try this and if yours likes to drink from it as you pour, consider a kitty drinking fountain. (I can't because mine also really likes cords...this is a bad combination for me)

annabee

Full-time Cat Mom
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you for the help! I'm awful afraid of giving raw egg yolk to a 17 year old cat who's already not in the best health. I tried finding information online about yolk causing constipation in cats but only found information about it acting as a laxative. Can egg yolk cause constipation in some cats?
Ah, that makes perfect sense. I do understand you have to tread carefully with her sensitive system!

Everything I'm finding suggests the same as you're finding—egg yolk is a laxative. However, every cat is different, and while most can eat poultry just fine, some have an intense allergy to it. The same could be said of eggs; perhaps it is too harsh on her system and does cause constipation. I found another post on this site that said (regarding egg yolk powder) "I have also used no more than 1/8 tsp of the powder daily with my cats with larger amounts producing litterbox blowouts. I think it really is just a trial and error."

I have some nutritional things listed for Constipation, as well, but I would generally advice against doing that until you've experimented for a sweet spot with the egg yolk and consulted your vet (considering her age)
  • Organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil - a teaspoon a week (divided throughout)
  • Slippery Elm Bark (SEB) - brands: NOW, Nature's Way, Starkest Botanicals, and Baie Run. (Organic).
I agree with kashmir64 that hydration is a big thing here, too. Do you have a cat water fountain? If not, I highly, highly suggest one. :bluepaw:

Cupcakecrazy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have one cat who prefers kibble, but she drinks a lot of water. However, she loves it when I pour fresh water. She comes running from wherever she is to drink as I pour it.
You might try this and if yours likes to drink from it as you pour, consider a kitty drinking fountain. (I can't because mine also really likes cords...this is a bad combination for me)
My girl loves fresh water too, I refresh her cup at least once an hour but she hasn't been drinking as much since the hairballs started. We were hoping the digestive care would help her upset stomach a little so she could stomach the amount of water she used to.

Yes, she has three different water fountains and she doesn't like any of them! Her favorite coffee cup is the only thing she'll drink out of.

Cupcakecrazy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Ah, that makes perfect sense. I do understand you have to tread carefully with her sensitive system!

Everything I'm finding suggests the same as you're finding—egg yolk is a laxative. However, every cat is different, and while most can eat poultry just fine, some have an intense allergy to it. The same could be said of eggs; perhaps it is too harsh on her system and does cause constipation. I found another post on this site that said (regarding egg yolk powder) "I have also used no more than 1/8 tsp of the powder daily with my cats with larger amounts producing litterbox blowouts. I think it really is just a trial and error."

I have some nutritional things listed for Constipation, as well, but I would generally advice against doing that until you've experimented for a sweet spot with the egg yolk and consulted your vet (considering her age)
  • Organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil - a teaspoon a week (divided throughout)
  • Slippery Elm Bark (SEB) - brands: NOW, Nature's Way, Starkest Botanicals, and Baie Run. (Organic).
I agree with kashmir64 that hydration is a big thing here, too. Do you have a cat water fountain? If not, I highly, highly suggest one. :bluepaw:
She does have a couple water fountains! We got her three types when she started having these issues to try and get her to drink more but she won't use any of them!

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When mine were babies I used to give them liquid coconut oil in their KMR or in the canned food for constipation. Always worked. Granted, they were very little and only a few of drops would do the trick. I have no idea how much for an adult cat if you decide to go that route.
Other than that, I have no idea, but you might consider consulting your vet just in case of a blockage.

Cupcakecrazy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
When mine were babies I used to give them liquid coconut oil in their KMR or in the canned food for constipation. Always worked. Granted, they were very little and only a few of drops would do the trick. I have no idea how much for an adult cat if you decide to go that route.
Other than that, I have no idea, but you might consider consulting your vet just in case of a blockage.
Thank you for all the advice!