Constipated 3-week Old Kittens

Sassykittens

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello, first time foster mom here. Currently have 2 3-week old babies that have been constipated since I got them last Tuesday, 5/28.

I talked with the foster coordinator at the rescue about this on day 3 and she said it was common for bottle babies and that I shouldn’t worry, but now it’s been almost a week. The girl kitten has been about to go a little bit, maybe about an inch worth yesterday and the boy has only gone a couple pebbles.

Any advice on how to help them would be much appreciated. I would need specific doses/instructions as I’m new at this.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Exactly what kmr do you use? How much a day? How much do they weigh?

Ok be sure they arent dehydrated.

Have 2-4 drops of coldpressed olive oil with every meal. Almost any food oil will do but this is good nourishment too.

Minerale oil is even more potent but you must be sure its foodgrade.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Sassykittens

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have been using the powder kmr with a 2:1 water to powder ratio, as stated on the can.

One kitten is 13.3 oz and the other is 14 oz. Each kitten eats about a tablespoon every 3-4 hours. I don’t think they’re dehydrated because they have no problem urinating and they urinate every time I feed them.

Is that 2-4 drops of olive oil per kitten, per meal?

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Welcome, SassyKittens, and thank you for fostering!! :rock:

My vet doesn't get concerned about constipation unless there is distress meowing or undue restlessness. She has me add 2-3 drops of olive oil to their bottle if I am concerned.
Since you are new to fostering (yay!! every veteran fosterer salutes you in utter gratitude :salute::worship::itslove:), I highly recommend checking out TCS member Hissy's website: www.kitten-rescue.com. And if you decide to keep fostering, I highly recommend the free webinar from Maddie's Fund:
https://www.maddiesfund.org/critical-care-of-the-sick-neonatal-kitten.htm

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Formula can be constipating. Adding 2-3 drops of olive to each feeding should help and is a common remedy. You can also shave a sliver from a glycerin suppository and insert it. It usually brings on a bowel movement in a few minutes.

How many total mLs are the kittens being fed in a 24-hour period?

Can you post pictures of the kittens?