Constant uti

A.w

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My female cat has a uti that keeps coming back and I'm at my wits end. This started as soon as we brought our new baby home (first baby in the house) so I'm assuming her flare ups are stress related. The vet gave us metacam to bring home to give when she flares up. She was only going 2 weeks at most without it recurring and this morning I caught her in the litterbox and there was blood, which is her only uti symptom aside from going in the litterbox often. I'm going to bring her to the vet for another assessment because somethings gotta give.

Has anyont dealt with this with their female senioe cats? If so, what was the solution?

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I agree that it may not have cleared up and she needs more antibiotics and a urine test. Have a look at d- mannose and cornsilk, they are natural products that wont interfere with other meds.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I am pretty much echoing the above members. If a urine culture was not done following the urinalysis, you don't really know what kind of bacteria is involved. The urine culture will check the bacteria type against various antibiotics to help determine what might be most effective. While all antibiotics will help, those that the bacteria are most sensitive to will reap better results and be more likely to eradicate the infection.

Does she have bladder crystals/stones, in addition to the blood? Those can irritate the bladder lining, leading to inflammation and blood - and an infection.

Sounds like this could be a form of cystitis - often stress induced.
Feline Idiopathic Cystitis (FIC) in Cats | PetMD
Feline Idiopathic Cystitis (FIC) | International Cat Care (icatcare.org)

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
It really sounds like FLUTD to me!

1. Have you had a urinalysis done, and if so did you get say what type of crystals- if any? If not, call and ask. (Ex. Nobel had calcium crystals and needed a food change to resolve) You may need a new urinalysis to check for infection or crystals

2. Wet or dry food? Any cat with a frequent urinary issue should be on a full wet or mostly wet diet. With times of increasing stress (such as your new baby, add extra water). The water helps flush their bladder, preventing infection when they have the flare ups from stress. There are urinary specific foods: Purina even has an over the counter one available at stores like PetSmart.

3. Litter - what type are you using? Clay is a no-no for cats with bladder issues. We personally also had problems with pine, though many people do not. Try a corn or paper based litter. There are also wheat, wood or nut shell based litters. I recommend trying at least two types in two separate boxes to see what you cat prefers - aka uses more frequently.

4. How many boxes and where? Cats with frequent litter issues need to be encouraged to use the box more frequently to prevent infection. Is it in a quiet space? Does she have options of space (ex. Two in the same spot doesn't help her if something is happening that makes her feel like she can't get to it)? Is there one box per cat plus one? Is it cleaned daily? She might hold it if the box is dirty. Have the individual cleaning it set a reminder alarm.

5. Hormones or medication? Do you have feliway for stress, or does she take an anxiety medication? She could be given an anxiety medication for times of stress if it's really so bad that it almost never clears up.

6. What's her enrichment look like? New baby so she might not be getting what she's used to (and that's okay obviously!). Enrichment has been shown to really help lower a cat's flare ups of stress related illnesses. Installing a bird feeder at your window, putting on some Cat Tv or having an electronic toy to help you out (or rotating all those things), can be helpful. If you choose to continue feeding some dry food, a treat ball or other enrichment feeder is excellent!

countrygirl576

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I've had two cats have this happen and it will be 14 years for one. All tests were done and stress was causing it. Have you tried Feliway plugins or spray? The multicats one helps mine. cosequin given twice daily, adequin shot once a week, pain medicine when needed. And an antibiotic Enrofloxacin when flare ups happen. Not really a whole lot that can be done. Just try to keep them calm as much as possible, but with cats anything can upset them without you even knowing. I've had mine to the pet hospital as well many times and they have told me that over and over. Just take them home and wait it out.

louisstools

1 cat with me, 1 in heaven
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My 10 year old girl cat has had a history of UTI problems since I got her. She is skittish in nature and stressed out very easy and that starts the UTI problems. She is also prone to developing the struvite crystals. The only thing that has worked has been giving her a prescription diet for the UTI (Purina UR/SO kibble). The only time she went off that diet in the last 10 years she started showing UTI problems within a week. Putting her back on the rx diet even at 50% made all the difference for her.

tyleete

Queen of the Crazy
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have a senior that used to get them at least once every 6weeks. Does been uti-free for years now though. Ever since I found a urinary food for her. To keep her urinary ph low

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Great suggestions given already! The D-mannose and herbs such as cornsilk and marshmallow root are excellent considerations. Be sure to buy organic corn to get the silk (for my personal use, I roll it into little balls and eat raw or make a batch of surprisingly refreshing tea).