Constant swallowing

tyleete

Queen of the Crazy
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Ok, I know my cats are weird. But this is a new one.
Last Sunday my cat started doing this thing where she's constantly swallowing. It's rather loud in my quiet house, which is why I noticed. Outs usually more than twice a minute. Used to be worse, like prove every 10-30 seconds! And us sometimes followed by what sounds like her trying to clear her throat.
Took get to the vet. Poked and prodded and said nothing seems stuck or lodged in her trachea. Said it's either really irritated by something, or could even have something like she has. Laryngitis or some such.
Well, it's been a week now and still has me worried. Thought I'd ask if anyone else has had this. And if so, what did it turn out to be?
Thanks in advance!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tyleete

Queen of the Crazy
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the suggestion, but unfortunately it isn't that. She's one of 12 rescues I have and is a good groomer. Maybe 1-2 times a year only with a hairball.
The vet gave her a shot of Benadryl, shot of cerenia (read can be cause of them feeling naseau so over salivating), and she's on an Rx for Clavamox in case there's anything going on there. It's just not something ice experienced & seemed a new one to the vet too.:(
I don't like new. And to boot, she's one(of 2) of my favorites.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Ask your vet to consult with a veterinary school or other vet hospital for more ideas on what the issue might be. Could it be dental issues?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tyleete

Queen of the Crazy
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'll do that now, thanks! As for dental, I don't think so. Beginning of this year I had to have 4 cats get dental & she examined her well and said she's good. And she also looked at her teeth last Monday and didn't comment on them then. But I'll ask I that just in case too. I have a feeling I'm going to have to bring her back in again as it's been a week with no difference.:(

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
If she's also licking her lips, that could be a sign of nausea. One of my kitties swallows a lot when she's got excessive drainage or when her asthma is flaring up.