Conjunctivitis advice needed

melissa

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Our one and a half year old cat is having a flare up of conjunctivitis from feline herpes virus that he’s had since we adopted him from the shelter as a baby. This is the third occurrence since we’ve had him, I’m assuming from the stress of having people coming and going over the holidays. His previous occurrences have always cleared on their own within a week or so with no intervention. This one is going on two weeks and stated to clear but then worsened again. The only difference this time is that we have an 8 month old kitten who grooms him incessantly. He doesn’t seem to bother his eye when we are watching them but they are alone most of the day while we are working and I can’t say what happens during that time. Today his eye has a lot of watery discharge and the bottom eyelid as well as the third eyelid seem swelled. If the kitten is grooming his eye, would that contribute to it’s not healing? I’m taking him to the vet this weekend but I was just wondering if this might be the reason. I don’t know how to deal with it if that is the problem because they are closely bonded and cry and pace if they are separated for even a few minutes. Is there something we can do for Sebastian to keep these flare ups from happening? We give him L Lysine on his food whenever there seems to be a sign of any problem but I don’t know if that helps at all. The kitten, Sulley, also has feline herpes virus but his presents as respiratory issues when it flares up. Sebastian’s is always his right eye. Any help or advice would be so appreciated!

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Sometimes these issues need antibiotics when they get too bad, so I'm glad you are taking him to the Vet.

Many people who have cats with Feline Herpes actually give them L-Lysine every day, then increase the dosage when they have a flare-up.

As far as whether or not the kitten licking that eye is a problem or not, I don't know. That would be a question for the Vet, and if they say "yes", then you might ask them how to prevent it without totally separating them.