Confusion over medication dosage?

poetandporkchop

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi everybody,

I had to rush my cat Poet to the after hours vet earlier today due to an abscess she had that popped. :( The vet has given me some medication for her however I was incredibly distressed at the vets and I’m a bit confused with one of the medication dosages. I’ll attach a photo of it. I can’t call them to clarify about it as it’s the weekend. It says give her one syringe every 12 hours but that seems like an awful lot? And it says “6 of Temgesic” but she only gave me three vials (pictured in the photo)

I have really bad anxiety and I live alone so there isn’t anybody I can ask so just thought I’d reach out. I really don’t want to mess the dosage up but it just doesn’t seem very clear how much to give her as one whole syringe seems an awful lot :(

Attachments

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Do not give any medication unless you are perfectly clear on how much to give. This is an opioid and could kill very easily. It would help a lot if you could get a picture on here with the syringe turned so we could see how much is in it. ML's are incredibly tiny amounts. i would get hold of a vet, any vet, and ask first. Try calling your vet, usually, they have an answering service that could help you. Or an emergency vet in a neighboring town.
That is a common pain killer for cats, so I'm sure someone has used it before, but to be safe, no one should tell you how much to use unless they are a vet.
I have treated cats for popped abscesses MANY times and have never used an oral pain med. I just cleaned the area with warm water and a wound cleanser for cats I get at my local farm supply store. These are caused by deep bites, so keeping your cat in would avoid them. They take a LONG time to heal.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The prescription says ".6 of Vetergesic (Temgesic) 10 ml". That is 0.6. The decimal point before the 6 is hard to see. This part should be the medication strength. It's confusing but that's on the vet for making it so vague. It should be written as 0.6 mg / ml.

The vet has loaded the syringe with the appropriate amount of pain medicine based on your cat's weight. It looks like there is about 0.25 ml of the pain medicine in the syringe. That is a small enough dose for a cat. Do all three syringes contain the same amount of pain medicine? If yes, you can give the entire contents of one syringe to the cat every 12 hours as needed.