Confused

Catmom5688

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My 16yo cat eats constantly but has lost a lot of weight where her back bone sticks out. She also has had ascites for a few years, vet said she had extremely high white count when I took her 2 months ago, leukemia, but she had said before it was maybe dry FIP. They didn't want to keep draining the fluid anymore because they said she had sacs and would have to poke her five hundred different places, said to just keep her comfortable. She has no shortness of breath but has lost strength and can't get up on my bed anymore even with a step and has a limp sometimes, give her a Cosequin for that but it hasn't really helped yet. So I was ready to take her and put her down but it just does not feel right. She's got a bit of a spark in her eye and looks at me lovingly like she's saying please don't do that. She puts when I cuddle her, which doesn't mean she's not uncomfortable but I just wonder if I should just take her in and see if they can give her, any kind of digestive enzyme or check for EPI or whatever. Two months ago vet visit they said she did not have hyperthyroidism.but if she has cancer as they say can that cause the extreme appetite or would it be more of a digestive problem. Anything you can offer would be a help thank you.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Catmom5688

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I thought about it all night, and this morning took her to be put to sleep at 9 this morning. Last night I went through the steps I found on a website to ask myself questions whether euthanasia was the best course right now and at the end of the questions, the answer was yes to put her down. I'll be talking to her all the time. She'll be with my grey parrot who passed 4 years ago; they liked each other a lot. She was my best friend, truly.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I am so sorry to read this just now. You have done something very hard and very brave for your cat to have found that website and evaluated her condition and then to have allowed her to pass in peace before she became more ill. Yes, the vet might have made a suggestion that would have bought you more time, but from your description of your cat it seems as if she had passed the point of ever returning to baseline health. I was once talked into bringing a cat home from an appointment to be put to sleep, by the vet herself, and it was two weeks of misery for the cat as nothing worked. You did the right thing and I hope that your memories of her and your parrot will bring you comfort.

zoes

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm so sorry about your kitty. It's a heavy burden of responsibility that you have shouldered bravely and gracefully; you made the right choice, the choice I'd want made for me.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Catmom5688

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Fionasmom, this is what I wanted to avoid and I'm sorry you had to go through that final two
weeks, but your kitty had you and that's really what mattered.. I had little 3yo get severe shortness of breath in an afternoon and die as I was trying to put
her in the carrier to go to the vet. And the crisis always comes on the weekend it seems.
Thanks for your responses. I cried all day yesterday and had to have half a glass of Bourbon,
but then felt she was kind of guarding over me by bedtime, but I am a very spiritual person. My brother
told me he had the same experience after he put his kitty to sleep. Really for several years with her ascites, but no shortness of breath and acting pretty normal, it was still every day to look at her and feel kind of miserable, so I am so relieved she's resting in peace now.