Confused about fish oil

RussellsMom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi all – We were recommended to start supplementing Russell with fish oil for his heart health and joints (early HCM and moderate arthritis). The cardiologist wrote:

“Begin fish oil supplements (omega-3 fatty acids) at approximately EPA ~275mg and DHA ~175mg total per day. Start at ½ the dose for one week, then increase to the full dose if tolerating well. Please avoid cod liver oil, flax seed oil, or products with xylitol, Vit A and/or D. Welactin and Nordic Naturals are reputable brands.”

I was just about to put a Chewy order in for Nordic Naturals Omega-3 Pet Liquid Supplement for Cats & Small Dogs, when I saw that the ingredients list includes Vitamin A (230 IU min per teaspoon). But the vet specifically said avoid Vitamin A. I’m confused. Anyone have any thoughts about this?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

RussellsMom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The odd thing is, she recommended that particular fish oil while also saying avoid vitamin A. I'll ask her about it on Monday, but I wondered if anyone here had experience giving their HCM cats fish oil.

Isn't all fish oil high in vitamin A? I've read that cod liver oil is very high in vitamin A, which is why it's not recommended for cats. Boilerplate is usually full of inconsistencies, in my opinion, so maybe the vet's handout about fish oils meant "Avoid excessive amounts of vit. A" (above whatever the recommended level is, which was not included on the sheet).

Very frustrating, as Russell's legs are clearly hurting him.