Coned cat not pooping

stellathelion

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My 6 year old had a wound that needed to be checked and the vet gave her a course of antibiotics (feeding that using a syringe was a nightmare), but she has not pooped in almost 3 days. Before being able to get a vet's appointment (over here, due to COVID, many clinics aren't accepting new clients and my old vet from where I moved told me this wasn't an emergency so I spent a couple of days calling up vets and finally one agreed to see us a week later.)e vet

Before seeing the vet, I bought a soft cone and some vetericyn hoping the wound doesn't get infected till she sees the vet and she hated it - kept bumping into things. I usually remove the cone I bought when she uses the litter box/wants to play/when she eats. Today she came home with a new cone and the vet said to not take it off tor the next 10 days for fear of infection from licking. It's been almost 3 days since she last pooped and the vet saw her today and said she's backed up, but she recommended Miralax. I mixed it into her food 4 hours ago and still have no poop. Can anyone shed some insight?

She usually poops once every 2 days

SwissMiss

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My 6 year old had a wound that needed to be checked and the vet gave her a course of antibiotics (feeding that using a syringe was a nightmare), but she has not pooped in almost 3 days. Before being able to get a vet's appointment (over here, due to COVID, many clinics aren't accepting new clients and my old vet from where I moved told me this wasn't an emergency so I spent a couple of days calling up vets and finally one agreed to see us a week later.)e vet

Before seeing the vet, I bought a soft cone and some vetericyn hoping the wound doesn't get infected till she sees the vet and she hated it - kept bumping into things. I usually remove the cone I bought when she uses the litter box/wants to play/when she eats. Today she came home with a new cone and the vet said to not take it off tor the next 10 days for fear of infection from licking. It's been almost 3 days since she last pooped and the vet saw her today and said she's backed up, but she recommended Miralax. I mixed it into her food 4 hours ago and still have no poop. Can anyone shed some insight?

She usually poops once every 2 days
My cat is on Miralax and it works really well (I'm on it too) but I believe it takes longer than 4 hours to work. I believe the literature on Miralax says it takes 1 to 3 days to work. I'd check with your vet but you may need to give her the Miralax once daily until she poops.

SwissMiss

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My cat is on Miralax and it works really well (I'm on it too) but I believe it takes longer than 4 hours to work. I believe the literature on Miralax says it takes 1 to 3 days to work. I'd check with your vet but you may need to give her the Miralax once a daly until she poops.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. What dosage of Miralax did you give her? Normally the initial dose is 1/8 tsp, and if you don't get results within the next 12 or so hours, you might increase it to 1/8 tsp twice a day. If the cone is part of the problem, it might be that she is resisting to go because of it, so keep that in mind. Personally, if it were me, and you can get her to poop by taking off the cone for a little bit of time, I would do it. And, keep in mind Miralax works by drawing extra water into the colon to help soften the stool, so if you can get her to drink more water that would be helpful. If nothing else, add a bit of tuna 'juice' from a can of tuna packed in water to her water dish(es).

What is the new cone like? Better than one you had?