Concerns for a kitten i have rescued

TiffanyMariie

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I saved a kitten from next to a highway, at at taco bell 3 days ago, he can't be more than 6 weeks old,, he seemed fine then suddenly, his butt is raw, swollen, and possibly protruding, he has diherrea, and he screams when he washes himself.
I'm not sure what I should exactly do, or what is wrong and could use some insight with this situation, I have talked to multiple vets however they say they can't do anything without payment upfront (I do not get paid until wendsday) so I'm here to ask if this is an emergency, if I should surrender him to a rescue or if I can wait until then to possibly get him help.
& what this possibly could be.
I very much appreciate any replies or insight and maybe how to care for this until I get him to a vet or somewhere.

Attachments

tyleete

Queen of the Crazy
Alpha Cat
Purraise
It sounds like he needs immediate help if he's screaming in pain. Reach out to every rescue you can find if you can't take him to a vet asap. Things can go downhill so much faster for kittens than adult cats. You also could ask to apply for Care Credit at the vets if you're really wanting to keep him. It's a credit card for pet use 😊
Don't feel bad if you do have to give him to a rescue though. I have so many, any need ones we find have to go to rescues now. The fact that you rescued the baby is awesome all on its own.
I wish you luck.🐾💕

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Welcome to The Cat Site and thank you for rescuing this kitten from the highway. From the pic, this looks like a prolapsed anus which does require veterinary care. At the least, the kitten needs to be checked for worms and given an antibiotic. The vet might be able to reinsert the prolapsed tissue, but you should not try to do this. He may need pain killers as well.

Have you spoken to any rescues who have said they will take him? If not, start calling around, and if you have and if they will help him now it might be the best solution. Ask for the name of a vet who might work with you as you call around.

The kitten is too young to be away from his mom, certainly entirely out of your control, and he may be constipated or have diarrhea which is not helping. Coconut or olive oil may soothe his rear end, but it is by far not the final solution. He does need to see a vet no matter how you look at this. Can you ask about Care Credit or any other payment plan, partial payment, etc. Wednesday is not that far away but for this kitten in pain it is a long time.

KrazeeVTmama

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I saved a kitten from next to a highway, at at taco bell 3 days ago, he can't be more than 6 weeks old,, he seemed fine then suddenly, his butt is raw, swollen, and possibly protruding, he has diherrea, and he screams when he washes himself.
I'm not sure what I should exactly do, or what is wrong and could use some insight with this situation, I have talked to multiple vets however they say they can't do anything without payment upfront (I do not get paid until wendsday) so I'm here to ask if this is an emergency, if I should surrender him to a rescue or if I can wait until then to possibly get him help.
& what this possibly could be.
I very much appreciate any replies or insight and maybe how to care for this until I get him to a vet or somewhere.
I agree with needing immediate veterinary care. Animals tend to hide pain not flaunt it, especially cats. So this is serious. I am also very sad that there are not vets that consider helping, paymeny or otherwise. We have a few here that will take in strays and help them, and I have facilitated several rescues myself. If I were closer I would absolutely assist you. What a terrible position to be in. And there is no dhame in surrendering said kitty, it is entirely possible this is exactly why he was abandoned, they knew something was wrong. Our shelters tend to charge for drop offs and take names and report people. I had a shelter (with no kittens) refuse one from me unless I paid them $40 or something silly when people were begging for kittens. This only makes it difficult for someone to do the right thing even if they did not start out making the correct choice. Best wishes. I will be thinking of you and little kitty.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

TiffanyMariie

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Welcome to The Cat Site and thank you for rescuing this kitten from the highway. From the pic, this looks like a prolapsed anus which does require veterinary care. At the least, the kitten needs to be checked for worms and given an antibiotic. The vet might be able to reinsert the prolapsed tissue, but you should not try to do this. He may need pain killers as well.

Have you spoken to any rescues who have said they will take him? If not, start calling around, and if you have and if they will help him now it might be the best solution. Ask for the name of a vet who might work with you as you call around.

The kitten is too young to be away from his mom, certainly entirely out of your control, and he may be constipated or have diarrhea which is not helping. Coconut or olive oil may soothe his rear end, but it is by far not the final solution. He does need to see a vet no matter how you look at this. Can you ask about Care Credit or any other payment plan, partial payment, etc. Wednesday is not that far away but for this kitten in pain it is a long time.

I have an appointment for very early in the morning for him to get everything fixed, a local place that helps pay for things like this is going to cover all the costs when I take him in and everything he needs, she said it couldn't wait until I got paid which is not what I was ready to do anyways, I was going to give him up to a rescue but now I'm getting him to the vet first thing in the morning, my heart has been exploding for this baby, he is in pain, and I can't stand watching it. I've been trying different places and such all day, I don't have many rescues in my area and the two I contacted have not been back in contact with me yet, however tomorrow he will be getting what he needs.
Thank you for your reply
I don't have expierence with prolapses, I have foster and taken care of many kittens, one who had an infection in his leg but this was out of my league to know what to do, thank you for the advice, I really appreciate it

TiffanyMariie

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I agree with needing immediate veterinary care. Animals tend to hide pain not flaunt it, especially cats. So this is serious. I am also very sad that there are not vets that consider helping, paymeny or otherwise. We have a few here that will take in strays and help them, and I have facilitated several rescues myself. If I were closer I would absolutely assist you. What a terrible position to be in. And there is no dhame in surrendering said kitty, it is entirely possible this is exactly why he was abandoned, they knew something was wrong. Our shelters tend to charge for drop offs and take names and report people. I had a shelter (with no kittens) refuse one from me unless I paid them $40 or something silly when people were begging for kittens. This only makes it difficult for someone to do the right thing even if they did not start out making the correct choice. Best wishes. I will be thinking of you and little kitty.
Aw I hate thinking someone just abandoned him when they could've taken him somewhere that could've helped, I have talked to an assisting service in my area called Cats Cradle that said if I take him to this certain place tomorrow morning around 8-9am they will cover all the costs for me. I cried with relief when I got that phone call as this has been breaking my heart all day. He's such a sweetheart, and im so glad to be getting him some help in the morning. I only have two rescues in my area and I called and left messages but hadn't got back to me yet, so I'm thinking this is the best option I have right now. Thank you so much for the reply, I have had expierence with cats having infections and such but a prolapse is something I've never had expierence with while helping animals. I appreciate it 🖤

TiffanyMariie

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

I have an appointment at 8-9 am to get him the help he needs now, a assisting place around me that helps cats called me and said they will cover all the cost for anything he needs. Thank you everyone for the replies, I wanted to give everyone an update to say he is going tomorrow morning. I appreciate it. 💕

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
The picture does NOT look like a prolapse, but it does look like a very sore bottom. He is probably suffering from diarrhea burn.

You can apply a warm, damp cloth to his bottom to soothe it tonight, followed by either coconut oil or petroleum jelly, or evan olive oil if need be.This will give immense relief from the burning.

He probably DOES need treating for fleas, worms, and parasites, but once treated, his poops should firm up within 2-3 days and the raw bottom should subside as long as it is coated with something for the next few days while it heals.

Once his bottom is no longer raw and his poops are normal, he should be good to go!

IF his bottom needs an antibiotic or cream for an infection, I’m sure it will be provided.

Thank you for saving him and how awesome that this organization is willing to help you!

If the little guy gets treatment and eats well, he should be fine. Do keep us posted! 😍

T TiffanyMariie

Last edited: