Concerned coronavirus has mutated to FIP

Status
Not open for further replies.

HAS

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My 8 month old rescue was diagnosed with coronavirus, and in the last week has developed noticeable abdominal swelling, which I just learned can be one of the tell tale sign of the wet form of FIP. A small percent of cats (under 15%) that contract coronavirus have it mutate to FIP, and it is difficult to diagnose. The bloating is one of the sure signs. Of course I will call the vet when they open on Monday, but I am so worried, as FIP is a death sentence. He also had two bacterial infections so is on antibiotics and probiotics for that. Just a combination of illness and lethargic behavior makes it hard to figure out what could be a possible FIP infection.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. With wet FIP, there are tests that are better at identifying it than the dry version. Read up on it, starting with the article link below, so you can discuss testing options and follow up with your vet. Also, though I hope I am jumping the gun, I have also included a link to a relatively new thread on this site which discusses FIP treatments that could be available to you.

Good luck, and please keep us posted. :vibes::hangin:
Diagnosing FIP | Tests for Feline Infectious Peritonitis | FIP Treatment
FIP Is Treatable Now? | TheCatSite

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

HAS

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Update...sadly, the fluid in his abdomen confirmed a positive wet form of FIP today. Our vet is coming to the house tomorrow night to help us say goodbye to our sweet Marco. We hope his suffering ends soon.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I am so sorry. My heart with yours. Just know that he knows you love him, and want only what is best for him.

Status
Not open for further replies.